Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trievers

Anyone with unusual attracting techniques?

trievers
18 years ago

Has anyone tried any unusual techniques for drawing hummies to their yard besides the recommended flowers and feeders? I have a friend on the west coast who has Anna hummies and they are loving the feeders most, that have glitter nail polish painted on the sides of the glass.

IÂve stapled some foil, glitter and fluorescent paper "flowers" on my roof to draw them in on their migration. Has anyone tried anything with scents, flavors, ultraviolet light?

IÂd love to hear from anyone who is doing any scientific experiments as to their behaviors.

{{gwi:980137}}

Comments (20)

• rita_h
    18 years ago

When my mom first moved into a new home, we hung red curling ribbon (for wrapping packages) from the feeders -- they flutter in the breeze to help to attract attention.

I heard that most birds other than carrion birds like vultures have little or no sense of smell -- they depend mostly on sight and hearing.

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rita

I'm trying to locate some fluorescent surveyor's tape to dangle as you suggest.

I'm interested in the visual wavelength discrimination of hummies and hope to experiment this summer. I need to borrow a spectrometer to measure the wavelengths in certain glass and other materials ...once I know the numbers I can go to a glassblower and have him make me some feeders...that will hopefully get me some spectacular results.

The Black-chinned Hummingbird does have a sense of smell, as evidenced in this study.

It seems there is a lot to learn about these miraculous critters.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

A couple years ago, I bought one of those insulated cloth/vinyl "lunch bags" at a local dollar store and finally found a use for it last year. LOL

{{gwi:2367}}

With that hanging in a conspicuous spot, I watched my hummingbirds continually checking it out and I eventually moved my agastache over there so that they could have a treat. In the above, you can see 2 of the 3 hummies that I eventually had in late summer as regulars... Naturally, they were in the middle of a rather lengthy face off and chase (either mom and one of her boys or both boys). And yes, this is way up in the sky nearly 150 ft above the ground. They even flew way way up above my apt. building to chase each other. What they'll do for red.... LOL

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jenny-the-Bag-Lady! I love it! What a wonderful recycling maneuver!

I have a balcony on the second floor ... I call it my "treehouse" and besides the feeders, I've played with a laser light bouncing off the white wall when the hummies come to feed [being very careful not to shine it in their eyes] ... and they chase it on the wall like a kitten.

When I wear a red or pink shirt, they come right up to me to check me out!

What they'll do for red.... LOL indeed!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

They'll chase a laser pointer too? Now that is too funny!

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeppers Jenny ... I'm not sure if he thought it was a new type of red insect or a red hole with nectar on the wall ... but he chased it repeatedly, on numerous occasions. The female was less interested in my silliness.

Toward the end of the season, the male 'Squeakie' showed aggression toward the juvie, chasing him/her away from the feeders. One morning I was having coffee in the "treehouse" enjoying their antics and the juvie arrived for a drink ...'Squeakie' flew in and chased him/her away ...and in a heartbeat, the juvie flew behind my head and I could hear him hovering, using me as a cover. 'Squeakie' approached near my face ... and flew a bit to the right, then to the left ... repeating the back and forth several times ... and all I could think of was "come-out-come-out-wherever-you-are" as he looked for the little guy ... then they both buzzed off to whatever it is that hummies do best. It was one of those moments that takes your breath away.

Gotta love those hummies!!!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

They're amazing! I had mine coming over to my sliding glass doors all the time and peeping in if they saw me walking around inside. Whenever they did that, I was usually so stunned that I never got chance to grab the camera and get it turned on fast enough to capture the moment. I'll have to see if I can strategically place some plants so I can catch some of their antics.

I did manage to capture a series of shots of a hummer encounter with a wasp that decided the feeder belonged to it. LOL

{{gwi:1894}}

The wasp ascended from a morning glory leaf and charged the hummer via a circular flight path that eventually allowed it to land right back on the same leaf while the hummer moved the heck out of its way.

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I love your photo! Yes they are the most wonderfully curious of critters. Toward the end of the season, we had problems with yellow jackets too .. and the hummies did not like them at all. I found the most effective way of disposing of the wasps was to suck them off the feeders with a vacuum. But that didn't help me with the feeder that was away from the house ...then I remembered my dad's home remedy ...hanging a small pace of fish over a pail with enough water [with a bit of liquid soap added] for them to drown themselves when they were gorged. Worked like a charm! ... well ...it helped a lot ...but we were never completely rid of them.

One of my goals this summer [besides drawing in LOTS of hummies] is to have one perch on my finger. I'm going to try it ...don't know if it will work ...but the suggestions are here.

If you haven't visited Wayne Schmidt's website ... it is chock full of fascinating hummie info.

I don't even own a lipstick ... but I would go out and buy one if I could get this to happen!

{{gwi:980139}}

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Thanks for the links! I don't know if my arm would hold long enough waiting for one to perch on a finger. And that would be a riot if one thought my mouth was a feeding port!

• ron45715
    18 years ago

...well...after about 3 sixpacks of Budweiser, I climb upon the roof wearing this red jumpsuit.....

...lol....I do use these big red Erva weatherguards overtop of a few feeders out front.

• garden_gossiper1
    18 years ago

Please don't laugh....but, because I finally attracted some last year (although in July) I thought I'd try for the spring. DH asked what in the world is that stuff doing out in the yard? I have a red wheelbarrow and three orange snow shovels perched against it near the feeder hanging from the crabapple in the back yard! I figured it was worth a shot. There aren't any flowers for them yet, it is way too early. What do I have to lose except some of the neighbors thinking I've lost my mind....lol. They are now in Mass. and I live in southern NH-so they should be in the area soon. I hope. Jan

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ron45715 and garden_gossiper1

I hope by your last postings you have made a sighting of some hummies. So far I have seen not a one, although the migration maps say differently. Yesterday, I hung out streamers made of fluorescent surveyor's tape ... this is a sign of a desperate woman!

{{gwi:980141}}

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Oh that's great!!! And then right behind the tape streamers are the feeders!!!

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jenny

I spent most of the day planting in containers [I know it's too early] but I just can't help myself! The day was too precious and beautiful to waste. Kept watching for hummies but no luck yet. A wonderful male bluebird stopped by for a while ...and stopped my heart!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I spent time after work buying more hummer plants. I think they are going to overdose on the red at my place. LOL

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

I just had to chime in and to add to jenny's post, had exactly the same thought! (You know I've always liked a monochromatic color theme...)

Except for the herbs, I didn't buy any plants this year that weren't hummer friendly. I'm thinking about getting a couple more Gartenmeister Fuschias (I brought home five) and trying them in different parts of my yard to see where it likes to be best. Anything for my hummers! I really like having wild pets...

• trievers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CDL

I just bought a huge Gartenmeister Fuschia yesterday that I unexpectedly found in my travels too!!! But I am afraid to put it out yet ...I mean, I can probably put it out during the day, but take it in at night. I've not had good luck with fuschias in the past. I think I overwater them. Do you have any suggestions? Also, it came in a 12" pot ... should I repot it? I have space considerations and I cannot afford too much space as I have to container garden where I live.

Thanks

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The pot your fuschia is in should be fine. They really do like water. I water mine until the water runs out the bottom and then water again wne the soil surface starts to feel a little dry. Mine have been outside for a week day and night. I may have to bring them in over the next couple of nights if it goes below 45 degrees. My cuttings have been out in a mini unheated greenhouse with lows of 36 and I just throw a woven blacket over the top of the greenhouse at night.

I have never had luck wtth the red streamers but the other day I did wrap a woven red tow rope around my black shepherd's hook. It is very bright and actually looks nice on the hook. Still no takers here in western NY either.

Penny

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Hi Trievers, I'm glad Penny answered your question! I haven't had any experience with this particular plant, but typically fuschias like a lot of water. It was recommended that a 10-12 inch pot is the perfect size to keep a well-grown fuschia in over the summer, and I'm bumping the pot size on mine to that. (I bought one gallon plants.) Good luck with your new plant; I think our hummers are going to love it!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Depending on where you are located your fuchsia will probably need to be watered daily or in some cases twice a day once it warms up. They also like to be fertilized. I fertilize mine with 1/4 tsp. miracle gro in a gallon of water at least once a week sometimes twice a week.

Penny

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!