Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waiting For Hummingbirds

Posted by waiting4hummingbirds z7bTX (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 9:57

Okay, this is my first year to really try to attract Hummingbirds. I am very anxious and very impatient! :) Last week I put out two feeders, quite a bit of red salvia, and a red penta plant. I have other flowers as well, but those are the main ones that I have that hummers are attracted to. Can anyone tell me if hummers are already out and about in my area (North Texas)? Any suggestions on attracting them quickly? :) Thanks for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waiting For Hummingbirds

The hummingbirds have been migrating back through for about a month. I'm in central Texas and have had a ruby throat pass through and have a male and female black-chin who reside in the area.
If this is your first year it could take quite a bit of time for them to find you. Are you in the city or out in the country? If they already have preselected areas out, this could be a reason why they don't always find you at first.
I remember my first year I put greggiis and feeders out. It took a couple of months before one showed up. Just keep a look out. Once you see one, they should show up more often.

o

Thanks for the insight. I am in the city, so yea I figured it might take me a little longer before I see any. I go out constantly throughout the day hoping to see one. I'll just keep waiting and hopefully they will find me soon! :) Thanks again!

o

Just be patient. It will take time and they will find you. I never even knew they existed in the city. You hardly see them. I did that my first year also. I kept going outside and checking to see if I had any! Don't give up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here