Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliep_gw

Indiana Hummers

LeslieP
18 years ago

I live in Northwest Indiana. About when do the hummers show up here. I am wondering if I should put out my feeders now. This is my second year and I don't know when to expect them. Not much is in bloom here.

Leslie

Comments (24)

• christy2828
    18 years ago

Go to hummingbirds.net and click on 'map project' on the left hand side. Good luck! Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds.net

• soycandle
    18 years ago

I live in Northeast Indiana...I have my feeders up but no hummers yet...but it's getting to be time to see them and they've been sited at the southern tip of Canada...so they just need to find us!

Lynn

• LeslieP
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thankyou very much. I put my feeders up today just in case. The map was very interesting, but it looks like their not quite here yet. I have learned so much on this site.

Leslie

• penny1947
    18 years ago

You should see them soon. My daughter is in southeastern Ind. and hers usuall arrive around the middle of April.

Penny

• soycandle
    18 years ago

Nope, still nothin'! I'm getting frustrated...where are they??? I'm 30 miles west of Fort Wayne, anyone around here seen them?

Lynn

• garliclover
    18 years ago

I'm just West of Indy. I have two feeders up and still nothing. On the IN-bird-L mailing list, there have been 3 or 4 people report RT sightings in the past week or two.

Last year, I think it was the last week in April before I saw any activity. Won't be long now.

-Chad

• garliclover
    17 years ago

My mother just saw her first one today. She's in Southern Indiana - not too far from Louisville.

-Chad

• soycandle
    17 years ago

Okay, I'll TRY to be more patient! :)
    I was feeling pretty much left out, when you look at the hummingbird migration map it looks like they're all around me. But still nothing on 4/22. :( There's always tomorrow...
    Thanks!!
    Lynn

• garliclover
    17 years ago

My mother just saw her first one today. She's in Southern Indiana - not too far from Louisville.

-Chad

• LeslieP
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still waiting here in northwest Indiana too! Nothing yet.

Leslie

• penny1947
    17 years ago

My daughter in s.e. Ind. (Madison) hasn't seen her first one yet either but her feeders have been out since before Easter. This is a little late for her.

Penny

• garliclover
    17 years ago

Today was the day for the first RTHB of the season. He has been by twice today.

-Chad

• oldman-2010
    13 years ago

Plymouth Ind.nothing yet

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Martinsville, In -- not yet

• shellalexander
    13 years ago

We live in Heritage Lake, 30 minutes west of Indy. We've had our feeders out for about 3 weeks now and still have not seen any hummingbirds. We do have 2 kinds of Woodpeckers living in a dead tree

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

I live in martinsville and just had my first on april 29th. But he was just passing thru and my regulars have not arrived as yet. So all Im getting are pit stop birds at present.

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

I noticed 2 hummers fighting for one feeder late yesterday afternoon. I am hoping one will try the window feeder soon. I hope these are regulars,and not just passing thru. One was definitely very small, and I noticed a red gorget.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Nanaboo

That is a good sign that I have not seen yet. Two fighting over a feeder means to me one of them wants to hang for a bit. When my regulars are here I hesitate to pull back a curtain first thing in the morning for fear of scaring a hummer away and one is usually on it at that time of day.

• oldman-2010
    13 years ago

Hooray !!!! One Hummer yesterday in Plymouth. It was a long wait but but finally at last.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Congrats oldman-- Very nice to finally have your first.

As Im sitting here typing this a female arrived on my window feeder and proceeded to sit and feed for two or three minutes . On a day like to today when it is steadily raining and cold 52 their insects for protein must be hard to come by so they have to rely on feeder nectar to sustain them.

• bbeverphoto_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Hummers are hammering all three of our feeders. I fill them every other day. I literally have dozens of hummer sightings per hour. I'm curious how late they stay. This is my third or fourth year putting the feeders out, so they know where to come, but I never really pay attention to how late in the year they stick around.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

When I lived in N. Indiana (Goshen/Middlebury area), I kept my feeders up as late as I possibly could, until I knew I was going to have prolonged temps at night below 32 degrees (thus freezing the nectar). And I put them up as soon in the spring as I could with the same logic. Keeping your feeders up longer will not cause hummers to stay too long. They have their own internal clock that tells them when to migrate, and they are not affected by available feeders.

Patty S.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

It depends on where you live. IM in central indy. My best month for hummers is august as I see peak migration for the first couple of weeks then then start tapering off. I may see a few in sept but not many. I have seen a couple in early oct but that is rare for my location.

• Lorna Secunda
    12 years ago

I am in ne indiana and this year the hummers have been few and far between. I have a couple regulars who hang out and guard my feeders not letting any other hummer near. Usually I have a good mix of male and females, this year I rarely see any females or juveniles. I wonder if thaw bad spring weather disrupted their migration and we lost some of our regulars.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions