Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indiana Hummers

Posted by lesliep z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 10:00

I live in Northwest Indiana. About when do the hummers show up here. I am wondering if I should put out my feeders now. This is my second year and I don't know when to expect them. Not much is in bloom here.

Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indiana Hummers

Go to hummingbirds.net and click on 'map project' on the left hand side. Good luck! Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds.net

o

I live in Northeast Indiana...I have my feeders up but no hummers yet...but it's getting to be time to see them and they've been sited at the southern tip of Canada...so they just need to find us!

Lynn

o

Thankyou very much. I put my feeders up today just in case. The map was very interesting, but it looks like their not quite here yet. I have learned so much on this site.

Leslie

o

You should see them soon. My daughter is in southeastern Ind. and hers usuall arrive around the middle of April.

Penny

o

Nope, still nothin'! I'm getting frustrated...where are they??? I'm 30 miles west of Fort Wayne, anyone around here seen them?

Lynn

o

I'm just West of Indy. I have two feeders up and still nothing. On the IN-bird-L mailing list, there have been 3 or 4 people report RT sightings in the past week or two.

Last year, I think it was the last week in April before I saw any activity. Won't be long now.

-Chad

o

My mother just saw her first one today. She's in Southern Indiana - not too far from Louisville.

-Chad

o

Okay, I'll TRY to be more patient! :)
I was feeling pretty much left out, when you look at the hummingbird migration map it looks like they're all around me. But still nothing on 4/22. :( There's always tomorrow...
Thanks!!
Lynn

o

My mother just saw her first one today. She's in Southern Indiana - not too far from Louisville.

-Chad

o

I'm still waiting here in northwest Indiana too! Nothing yet.

Leslie

o

My daughter in s.e. Ind. (Madison) hasn't seen her first one yet either but her feeders have been out since before Easter. This is a little late for her.

Penny

o

Today was the day for the first RTHB of the season. He has been by twice today.

-Chad

o

Plymouth Ind.nothing yet

o

Martinsville, In -- not yet

o

We live in Heritage Lake, 30 minutes west of Indy. We've had our feeders out for about 3 weeks now and still have not seen any hummingbirds. We do have 2 kinds of Woodpeckers living in a dead tree

o

I live in martinsville and just had my first on april 29th. But he was just passing thru and my regulars have not arrived as yet. So all Im getting are pit stop birds at present.

o

I noticed 2 hummers fighting for one feeder late yesterday afternoon. I am hoping one will try the window feeder soon. I hope these are regulars,and not just passing thru. One was definitely very small, and I noticed a red gorget.

o

Nanaboo

That is a good sign that I have not seen yet. Two fighting over a feeder means to me one of them wants to hang for a bit. When my regulars are here I hesitate to pull back a curtain first thing in the morning for fear of scaring a hummer away and one is usually on it at that time of day.

o

Hooray !!!! One Hummer yesterday in Plymouth. It was a long wait but but finally at last.

o

Congrats oldman-- Very nice to finally have your first.

As Im sitting here typing this a female arrived on my window feeder and proceeded to sit and feed for two or three minutes . On a day like to today when it is steadily raining and cold 52 their insects for protein must be hard to come by so they have to rely on feeder nectar to sustain them.

o

Hummers are hammering all three of our feeders. I fill them every other day. I literally have dozens of hummer sightings per hour. I'm curious how late they stay. This is my third or fourth year putting the feeders out, so they know where to come, but I never really pay attention to how late in the year they stick around.

o

When I lived in N. Indiana (Goshen/Middlebury area), I kept my feeders up as late as I possibly could, until I knew I was going to have prolonged temps at night below 32 degrees (thus freezing the nectar). And I put them up as soon in the spring as I could with the same logic. Keeping your feeders up longer will not cause hummers to stay too long. They have their own internal clock that tells them when to migrate, and they are not affected by available feeders.

Patty S.

o

It depends on where you live. IM in central indy. My best month for hummers is august as I see peak migration for the first couple of weeks then then start tapering off. I may see a few in sept but not many. I have seen a couple in early oct but that is rare for my location.

o

I am in ne indiana and this year the hummers have been few and far between. I have a couple regulars who hang out and guard my feeders not letting any other hummer near. Usually I have a good mix of male and females, this year I rarely see any females or juveniles. I wonder if thaw bad spring weather disrupted their migration and we lost some of our regulars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here