Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

The Happy Dance

ctnchpr
13 years ago

It ain't pretty, but that's what I'm doin'. This little fella arrived late yesterday. Apr 5 is the very middle of the normal Apr 1-10 first arrival date for me. The first Fire Pink bloom opened today.

Comments (15)

• mrfixit_sometimes
    13 years ago

That is so exciting, good job capturing that photo...those litte hummers move quick, I can't wait to see my first one this year!

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Congrats on your first arrival, Im wondering did he go to the feeder or flower first.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!!

Steve - the flower. There's a 2nd male this morning. I hung another feeder on the opposite side of the house last night, and after a fight, I saw both of them feeding at once. Another feeder will go up today on another side of the house. After that, I'll start scattering them out through the woods.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Im not exactly sure which flower you have in the photo but Im growing about 34 cardinal flower from seed. I have not had much luck before but these all look healthy.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Hi ctnchpr,

What state do you live in?

Are you the one that made all those neat homemade feeders with pvc pipes and wine jugs or am I mixing you up with someone?

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

Great pic. Oh yes, the happy dance. Can't wait to do the happy dance here. Should be soon. Enjoy!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve, the plant is a Salvia coccinea Tropical Sage, a close cousin of our LIR. I got it at a nursery to serve as a "homing beacon", in case they had forgotten where I live. I'm glad your CF's are healthy, you'll love 'em!

eigdeh, I live in TN, and yes, I'm the proud inventor of the "Hummer Happy Hour" PVC feeder. It'll go up later when the crowd gets here.

I think more have arrived, I saw 2 males feeding at the same feeder this morning.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Hummer Happy Hour... I like that! :c)

I am amazed that you get your hummers almost a month later than the migration map shows first sightings for your area, that is considering how many hummers your property attracts I would have thought you would have been one of the first sighters!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, eigdeh, one would think that it should work that way, but it never has...sigh.

• rob_a
    13 years ago

I like the picture. Blooms in the background around the feeder. And you nailed him. Perfect!

I have B&B that's very healthy under one of my feeders. Grown almost up to the feeder, and no blooms yet! Sigh.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rob! I had the camera manually focused on the feeder, but he would only land on the back side, so I had to take what I could get. He's out of focus, but after a long Winter, even a blurry hummer will do.

First female today.

• aflorida
    13 years ago

INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for sharing that picture. I'm in heaven now the hummingbirds are back :)

• pblue1235
    13 years ago

I have a summer camp near Moravia. I put out several feeders in May. All summer they protect and fight over the feeders. I easily have had 6 or more there each day. They seem to try to sit where they can view more than one feeder and keep all others away. When I walk outside they buzz right by my head too.

• GawdinFever
    13 years ago

I had to come read some posts and look at everyone's pics. My hummers haven't arrived yet. :(

Thanks for sharing yours!

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

gawdinfever, mine haven't arrived yet either. It's alway been between April 26th to the 30th with the map showing them all around here for weeks. Drives me crazy waiting!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County
More Discussions