Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeling anxious in Central VA

Posted by myoneandonly z7VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 10:58

Last year was my first for having hummers, and I have to admit I'm feeling anxious as those farther north report sightings. I've had my feeder out for weeks, changing it every couple of days, but with no evidence that it's been used. Yesterday I put plants in my window boxes hoping to create a welcome on my very small balcony, but it will be several days before they get flowers. I got a small black and blue salvia that has plenty of promising buds, that last year was a real hit. I have a lonicerum (Dropmore) and Mrs. Bradshaw geum, both blooming, as hummingbird beacons, got up at six because that's what time I first observed one last year, but nothing yet. I saw a lady at K Mart buying a feeder, and she had seen a small one several days ago. I wish they'd come here. I'm all ready.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeling anxious in Central VA

They're here, but we haven't seen them in great numbers... my neighbor has fed them for several years and put her feeders out about a week ago. She said she saw a scout about 3 days ago. I have two feeders I got from Freecycle and put them up last night and had a visitor at 7 this morning, and this afternoon there were a pair of them at the feeder at the same time.

Lynne (in Bowie, MD - between DC and Annapolis)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here