Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Costa Rican hummer

Posted by costaricafinca Costa Rica (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 11:11

I have been trying it seems for ages to ID these hummingbirds that are regular visitors to my garden, in Costa Rica. They are one of the 7 species that regularly feed from my garden flowers. It is a small hummer about 2".
Here are many cropped photos of these tiny jewels.
Since there are two different birds I presume there are both male & female.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Unknown Hummers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Costa Rican hummer

You might try HERE.
They seem to be good at identification.

o
RE: Unknown Costa Rican hummer

Thanks for the link! I used to post there, then lost the info when my computer went down.
I 'think' I have the answer to the ID. It seems to be a female 'Salvin's emerald' hummingbird.
Although, in the in my batch of photos there may be another species that accounts for the 'blotches' on the throat. So maybe I have more than the 7 species I thought I have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here