Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nest Cam

Posted by dellwo CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 11:20

I have a hummer that lays eggs outside my kitchen window several times a year. She's sitting on her 3rd brood of the year now.
I have set up a webcam for your viewing pleasure. It's a cheap camera and I don't know if it'll keep up with a lot of viewers so be patient.
Go to: cam.dellwo.com
Login: guest
Pass: guest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nest Cam

Thank you so much for allowing us to share your humming bird nesting. I enjoyed seeing it so much as did by hubby. We had seen nest before but never had the opportunity to see one with a bird on the nest.

o

Oooooh, how cool! Regardless of it being a "cheap camera", would you mind sharing what kind of camera it is, and if it's an indoor or outdoor camera? I've been wanting to set one up on my feeder, so I can view the activity while I'm at work. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for letting us view!!!

I saw the eggs, came back here to comment, bounced back and mamma's back! Nice...

o

It is a "Creative Live! Wireless". I got it for $95 from datavis.com. It has it's own wireless server so you don't even need to have a computer running (you'll need a router to connect to). The camera is mounted by the nest and the router box is sitting in my kitchen window.
It gets pretty washed out when the afternoon sun is on the nest. I set a patio umbrella nearby to shade things a bit.

Thanks, Joe

o

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!! This is great, another nest to watch so I don't get any work done!!!!!!

Pam

o

Joe,
Thanks so much for sharing the view and the information about the camera.
Could you please give us a bit of a timetable regarding the nest and eggs? When were they layed and when do you expect them to hatch?
Thanks. Seeing your pictures sure makes me wish I was in California!
Thanks
Gloria-Kansas City, MO

o

She's a busy lady. Starts laying eggs in late November and usually has 4 or 5 broods. She builds or freshens up the next nest while her chicks are learning to fly.
This brood has me a little confused. She laid an egg and sat on it for a week or two, then pretty much abandoned it for a week while she played the field. She then laid two more eggs. I don't know what'll happen if all 3 are viable. 2 chicks have to sit on top of each other to fit already.
In other words I'm not sure when they'll hatch. She's been sitting on these eggs about 2 weeks.
[Here's a pic of one of her previous broods]
[How do I show a picture? Here's a link.]

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 Years Ago

o

I figured out images. Here's another old picture.

o

Wow! I discovered a hummer nest years ago in a small cedar tree, but that is great! The one I found was unused at the time. I like the way yours found a briar of some kind to nest in. Maybe I will collect a few of the briars I was going to dig out onto a pole to make a good protection/nesting area for them!

It made me feel good just to see the moving pictures!

o

Thanks so much for sharing!! I've never seen a hummer in her nest, except in pictures. Thanks to you, we get to check in on one :) Christy

o

Wow! Simply amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

o

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us! I have gotten several people in my family to watching the hummer cam! We all love it!! I have to check it several times a day, just to see what is going on!

Thanks,
LaTrisha
Oklahoma

o

Joe,

Is this the camera you are using?

-Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Camera link

o

That's the one.

o

That's the one I thought it was too. Do you have the camera outdoors? Is it covered/protected from rain/moisture? I'm seriously considering ordering it ;)

o

Tracey, I took a picture of the setup. I tried to get everything. The nest is middle left with camera partly visible behind it. The eaves of the roof protect it. I place the server just inside the window to the right. I put it outside at first and it promptly rained so I moved it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cam Setup

o

Thanks dellwo, that helps. I figured I could mount it on my deck, and DH could build some kind of enclosure for it to protect it. I could probably do it, but him being the "master carpenter", I'd better protect his ego ;) It's worth a shot. I'm so glad you started this thread!

o

This is so neat! I have been in and out doing yard work today stopping to check in on her several times. I know where I will be spending a lot of time! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

o

what type of hummer is it? Allen's?

Been watching all the time. One hatched!!

Pam

o

• Posted by zoe2 z5 Missouri (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 07 at 17:20

I just love this! This is truly awesome, THANKS!

o

Oh wow, this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here