Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortheloveofhummers

where are the hummers

have had my feeders out since the migration map showed them in southern Indiana but have not seen one yet. Has anyone close by Valparaiso, Indiana seen one yet?

Comments (15)

• irisheyesaresmilin
    16 years ago

Yeah- it's been in the 60-> upper 70's anfd I haven't had even one yet!!!!!!!!!

PITY PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

None here in Martinsville yet either, any day now.

• indygardengal
    16 years ago

Here in Brownstown I saw a hummer April 23!!!! He or she? was investigating a flowering tree in my front yard. I have had a feeder out for 3 weeks and they haven't found it yet. Do you think one goes ahead and scouts out locations?

• dunelady
    16 years ago

None in Michigan City yet, either. Have the feeders out and awaiting their arrival.

• civicminded0400
    16 years ago

None in Crawfordsville as of this morning, a least none sticking around, its hard to tell if its the wind taking some nectar from the feeder or a bird. The azalea is blooming and the columbines are flowering, hopefully the come soon.

• fortheloveofhummers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

had a boston oriole yesterday on the oriole feeder they are suppose to come after the hummingbirds and not a hummingbird yet changing food every 3 days and still not a one here in Valparaiso, IN !!

• civicminded0400
    15 years ago

Still none sighted by me in West Central Indiana :-( Our weather has been chilly on and off so hopefully soon.

• civicminded0400
    15 years ago

Ok, This morning about 945am I was in the washroom and my wife yelled that there was a hummingbird at the feeder,as my wife opened the door to the sunroom the bird flew off so I didn't see it, however about 10 minutes later there was a bird at the feeder that I did see, it flew off the feeder before I could tell if it was male or female. I haven't seen it since then, so maybe it was migrating, but it made all of the work with the feeders and flowers worth it. I hope some stay permantely soon.

• nanny56
    15 years ago

I saw a scout around the 15th which was reported. We have been seeing one or 2 a day since this past wednesday. The Baltimore Orioles and Red-breasted Grosbeaks showed up this week too!

I live at Heritage Lake in Putnam County, just west of Danville Indiana.

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

I was away from home from April 28 until May 1. When I got home I saw 2 hummers around the feeder. today I only saw 1 at a time so I don't know what they are up to but they are heeere!!!!! Usually I don't see them as soon as everyone else. remember last year on here it was much later when everyone was worrying where are the hummers

• fortheloveofhummers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally they're here ! Valparaiso, Indiana I was standing right next to the feeder and a ruby throated landed on it and starting drinking nectar like there was no tomorrow. He didn't even mind me watching ! I am so happy they are finally here! I had Orioles before hummers this year and saw my first Indigo Bunting this year! I put out every one of my hummer feeders last night so excited !

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

I have seen them in the treetops, but not at the feeder. My hummingbird garden has 12 Lady In Red salvia plus an agastache all in full bloom, yet no action.

• star723
    15 years ago

None in site in Lebanon either~ I wonder with all of the cold temp if that has slowed them down??

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

I saw my first one at my feeder in Louisville, Ky about 5 days ago. Haven't seen one since..... :(

• star723
    15 years ago

Yippy~ today I was walking my garden paths and heard the sound that I have been waiting for. I turned just in time to see a male at the feeder!!