Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please, use only white sugar

Posted by ctnchpr (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 12:42

This subject comes up at least once each season, and since some members have mentioned using organic sugar, we need to address it before any hummers are harmed. These quotes are from 2 men who know at least 10 times more about hummers than all of us combined. The first 2 are from Lanny Chambers, the gentleman who hosts and updates the Ruby-throated hummingbird Migration Map:

"White sugar is the only syrup that has been tested extensively for safety as a hummingbird food supplement, as far as I know. Hummingbird metabolism is radically different from that of humans (or of other birds, for that matter). It's a mistake to assume otherwise, and a compounded mistake to apply unproven theories of human metabolism to hummingbirds. It's unethical to perform uncontrolled experiments on wild animal populations."

...and...

"The so-called raw sugar (also known as turbinado) common in third-world countries and marketed by health food stores is actually refined by the same process as white sugar, but without removing all the molasses and other non-sugar components. The results is a less-pure sucrose that contains about five times as much iron as white sugar, since iron is essential but normally rare in hummingbird diets, their bodies hoard it, and even a modest amount of iron can POISON them. If you have the choice, use only white sugar in hummingbird feeders."

The emphasis on POISON is mine, not Mr. Chambers'. The first quote can be found at http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/HUMNETf/feedersugar.html, and the second one can be found at the same website as the Migration map.

And this from Bob Sargent, a hummingbird researcher/bander/author/lecturer, can also be found at the lsu/HUMNET site:

"I feel compelled to comment on this "health-food" approach to feeding hummers...If you are into the health food scene, that is great. This is not an attack on those that enjoy that lifestyle. The trick is to separate what you want for yourself and what sugar is found in the flowers that hummers seem to prefer. That sugar form is primarily sucrose, pretty much the same as our plain old table sugar."

Pure, white, refined, granulated table sugar is best for our hummers, and is the cheapest form of sugar. Why use anything else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please, use only white sugar

Have no fear.. I am still using white sugar.. I bought the Organic..but still had 5lbs of white sugar left..so guess I'll give the organic to those that use it... being a diabetic I don't use sugar anyway... but my hummers are a thristy group and I'll tell ya... they sure do drink from my feeder...I change mine ever 3 days right now..and there is not much I have to waste..maybe only putting in 8oz at a time is the trick...

Thanks again for the info...I printed it out .

God Bless
BarbZeee

o
RE: Please, use only white sugar

Thanks ctnchpr for getting this important message up early in the season! Good job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here