Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Very First Hummer [Indy]

hummersteve
15 years ago

I had my first visitor on april 27th which is about three days early for me. Its always feels so good to get that first one. At least then you know they are in the area. But I am sorry to say I have not seen him since as of today.

Comments (18)

• civicminded0400
    15 years ago

Thats wonderful news, none here in Crawfordsville IN as of yet, at least none that I have seen. Hopefully our cold weather is done after tomorrow night.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today the 28th I saw him 4 or 5 times or at least a male. Considering it was cold and rainy in the 40s at least they are in this area. Should see more of them after this cold spell. I cant wait to get my hummer plants in the ground.

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

I have been posting on this and the ws forum and did not introduce myself. I have been on GW before but lost my connection for some reason. Now I am back under a new name and I now have high speed internet so maybe it will be better now. That is my official introduction. Forgive me for not doing it sooner.
    Steve what plants are you putting out? I saved my Black and Blue over winter so it will go out soon. I have several salvias just the tiniest little seedlings that I hope will get started as soon as we can have more than 1 warm day at a time. I am really interested in getting them to use the plants. Oh yes I also have pineapple sage for them in the fall. There is coral nymph also because I read hummers like them. Can't think of anything else right now.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Indygardengal-- Hi there. I didnt overwinter any black and blue but I did wintersow some seeds and have a few by that route, they will most likely just be the species. I did order a couple black and blue thou and also recieved 3 free plants by mistake called salvia blue ensign. Besides that I have coral nymph, scarlet sage, lady in red. Also some agastache orange flare, greggii furmans red, tuttii fruiti, agast. cana and subrotunda. I also am trying salvia penstemonoids which I obtained from seed. A lot of these are just seedlings and arent ready to be put out just yet. Although the last couple of days I have planted the black and blue, coral nymph, greggii cherry chief, and furmans red plus cana, and orange flare. Next week I have cuphea ignea "david verity" and shumannii coming. I am curious as to what the b and b seed plants will turn out to be.

• civicminded0400
    15 years ago

I seen two hummingbirds at two different feeders this afternoon, they would feed for a few seconds and then go perch in the tree. Then they would chase each other around, there was one male for sure, I couldn't verify both birds. Once early evening set in I didn't see them any longer, I am not sure if they were just passing through or not. The one took interest in a columbine plant, and also a petunia in a hanging basket.

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

Last fall I tried and tried to get some seed from the 'Black and Blue'. I think the birds ate them all. Maybe finches? I think my plant can be divided so hope to have more plants. I also have 29 'Lady in Red' salvia. Don't know what I will do with so many but when I sow seed I am afraid I will not have enough germination.

• scouterbecky
    15 years ago

hummersteve, I've been curious to know when you first would have hummers. It seems as if many people on the forum are far from me and I thought your place would be a good gauge. The birds have been slow to arrive here, but I did have one lone male show up 4/30. There has been a certain female first to arrive for the past 2-3 years, but I have not seen her and hope she is here again this year.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Im not getting a lot activity during the day, just every once in a while, but a male seems to stop here every evening just before dark. I also have been having a female the last couple of days, not sure If I mentioned that before.

• esrungg
    15 years ago

Things seem to be a little different this year for me..I had my first last year on apr 29th.........this year on may 2nd i had a male show up in the evening then sat he was here in the am and have not seem him since....but have seen my first as late as may 8th

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Action never seems to really pick up here untill mid-month and beyond.

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

There's not much action here either. I think one male left as there only is one at a time. Divided my 'Black and Blue' and made 2 out of it and planted it out. Can't wait to get more things in the Hummingbird garden. Last year it had mostly herbs in that space but this year there are more things for the hummers.

• star723
    15 years ago

Well I am jealous! I have not seen any hummers yet ~ (Lebanon) I am wondering if this nice weather we are having will slow them down any?? I didnt think they liked the cold?
    Still waiting~ Debbie

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debbie-- Most likely you will be seeing them within the next couple of weeks or sooner. Especially when It warms better for good. My regulars are not here yet.

• scouterbecky
    15 years ago

A female showed up yesterday so now there is a bit of excitement around the yard between the two of them. The little guy was patient and I guess it paid off.
    Becky

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Steve,
    I see by the migration map on the New England forum that they are already north of me, but I have not seen one yet. They usually come around mid-May. You say you ordered salvia black and blue "plants"? Correct? Where did you order from? I haven't found any b & b around where I live.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Silvergirl.

This year I ordered black and blue from world of salvias. Last year I got them from meadowviewgrowers on ebay and from some local nurseries. You need to go to a nursery to find them. Most of your box store locals wont have them.

• civicminded0400
    15 years ago

It seems we have a male sticking around, He has very vibrant color. He usually doesn't perch at the feeder or stay very long. but I have seen him many times a day for the past week. There is also another hummer hanging around that my wife says is a female. These hummers won't let me get real close to them, so I can't tell. So far I have only seen a male(s). I was working in the yard yesterday and two of them buzzed right by my head, they were zooming all around the house. I am so glad they are back, hopefully we get some more soon.

• patches_02
    15 years ago

I just saw my first one here in northen In. this
    last week.

Sponsored
More Discussions