Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials in pots in the northern /cold states?

Posted by kris2001 s.e. PA/z6a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 13:12

Hi All,
I live in s.e.PA. To keep these perenials(Monardas,penstemons ) in pots in our deck(which is on 2nd floor), what kind of pots(How big/wide/deep,PLastic/wood or insulated with 2 layers etc) would you recommend, so that they survive winters?

I dont wanna bring the pots in for winter, since this year I may get bigger pots(20" dia or more)
Is there anyone who has these perennials in pots in the northern states? Pls share!
Thanks...Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials in pots in the northern /cold states?

Hi Kris,
My first question would be why do you want perennials?

I only ask this because I get a lot of shoppers at the garden center where I work asking for perennials because they don't want to replant flowers every year BUT what most of them don't realize is that perennials have a limited season of bloom - generally spring OR summer OR fall (to simplify) while many annuals bloom frost to frost if deadeaded regularly.

So your situation sounds ideal for experimenting with different hummingbird attracting annuals which you might want to consider as you are right perennials don't survive freezing as well in pots as they do in the ground.

I don't have a specific answer to your question but I do wish you the best of luck with your flowers.

o

Issue is I already have the perenials .Monarda and Penstemon work great with Hummers!

o

You can put them in pots but you'll have to bury them in the fall because they will be freezed dried otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here