Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia in a Whiskey Barrel

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 14:47

I am thinking of planting my half whiskey barrel this year with crocosmia. I have never grown it before so i was wondering how many bulbs to put in it. If I put in six would that be too many? Then I would put a red turks cap type lily in the center for height and some red nastutiums around the outside. Do you think that would work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia in a Whiskey Barrel

Yep that would work but the crocosmia will get pretty tall too. Mine in a container last year got about 2 ft. tall. The ones in the ground got even taller.

Penny

o

Thanks for your response Penny. I'm not worried about the height but more about how wide the spread. I've had sunflowers in my barrel and they looked nice and I've also had a Hollyhock in it before!! Now I'm just hoping they grow. Right now it looks empty because of course nothing has sprouted up yet!!!! I am hoping it will be a huge barrel of goodies for my hummers in the summer time!!!

o

They should do really well. I just put leftovers in a small 10 inch pot and they bloomed like crazy last year. In a barrel it will be like heaven to them.

Penny

o

I planted some red crocosmia several years ago and they have spread "slightly". I've never noticed any hummers at them, though.

o

Well I had to put some up turned mesh baskets all over the top of the barrel. Yesterday a squirrel started digging in it!!! I found at least one chewed up bulb and who knows how many of the nastutium seeds got thrown around!!! Now I don't know what will come up but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Boy I HATE those squirrels. I know they like tulips but I didn't know they would go after crocosmia!!!

o

My hummers used my crocosmia 'Lucifer' as much as they used the Scarlet Sage last year.

You can put hardware cloth over the wiskey barrels on the soil surface and the plants will grow up through the openings in the mesh. Just cut it to fit the surface of the barrel.

penny

o

I second Penny1947's suggestion about the hardware cloth, but use 1/2" mesh. There is a 1/4" mesh and that is too small. The shoots will grow through it, but will get strangled as they grow. I might even look for 3/4" mesh!

o

Thanks yardman,
I forgot to mention to look for the larger mesh size.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here