Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Canadian Honeysuckle

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:19

I've read that this is a rich nectar source, equivalent to sugar at 2:1. It's said to attract hummingbirds. Mine is just starting to bloom, but I can't see it from the house.

Anyone else have this? And if so, do the hummers like it?

I'm thinking about planting a bunch more, well everywhere there's a bare spot in front of a window. I planted a lot of Monarda this year, but they don't bloom til July. I need something hummers want in my front windows for May and June.

What do you think?

Also, what about heuchera? Has anyone seen hummers visiting this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Canadian Honeysuckle

Are you referring to Lonicera sempervirens?
If so I suggest the cultivar 'Major Wheeler'.
The hummers love it!

My 'Firefly' Heucheras are blooming their heads off along with the honeysuckle but I still haven't spotted any after my first spotting on Easter. :(

-Robert

o

I goofed, Robert. I meant columbine! Red Canadian columbine!

Are you getting visits to your Major Wheeler now? I have three growing up my deck posts, and hummers visited it a lot last summer. It's just starting to open, so maybe I'll get some visits to it soon.

I've had hummers from July, but never this early. I'm determined to find something to bring them. I'm thinking they may be out there, but I don't have anything to attract them in my windows til July.

So I'm trying to figure out what to plant so I can *see* them if they're there.

o

Haha. No problem.

The hummers always come to the red honeysuckle when it's in bloom and they are in the yard.
That's why it's so sad that I've got so many blooms but I don't see any.
Guess I'll have to wait until July!
Do you have Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'?
It's probably the hummers favorite plant in our yard. :)

-Robert

o

Ugh. My partner just saw one and the only thing it came to was the honeysuckle!
Wish I was home right now. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Well at least you know they're out there and love your honeysuckle. Try checking out there the last half hour before dusk. That's when they all came last summer.

This year I've planted some Black and Blue, but they're only about 6 inches high so far.

o

It seems I'm always staring out the windows trying to catch a glimpse of one!

I think you'll be amazed at how many hits you'll get from the salvia but be warned! It does get huge! :)
I don't mind though since they love it so much.
I have a big patch right in front of the back door so I can look out at them and I've also planted some in another bed and in the front yard since they love it so much.
It must have a higher sugar nectar content or something.

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here