Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Gomer sez, 'Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!!'

ctnchpr
13 years ago

This little fella showed up yesterday afternoon. He's on the early side of the normal Apr 1-10 range for first arrivals.

I noticed the first Firepink bloom Wed, they are an amazingly accurate predictor of the hummers' arrival.

Comments (13)

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Congrats on the first hummer of the season Ctnchpr!!

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Congrats on your first, he is a very handsome fellow.

My first arrival usually falls in the 4-28 to 5-4 range . I wouldnt mind getting an early arrival.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys!! Just after posting the pic, I saw 2 males fighting, so I quickly hung more feeders on other sides of the house and 1 at the edge of the woods.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I just hung my feeders this week, along with a large red that will hopefully gain some attention this year. I have yet to see spring migrators. Also bought some bright orange red Gerber daisies, red Salvias in bloom, and bright hot pink Dianthus. Other than that and crossing my fingers, I don't know what to do, lol!

Congrats on your little beauty, Ctnchpr!

Susan

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Susan!!

An update: It's starting off as a great hummer season - 10 feeders out and approx 20 birdies.

This bad boy was guarding his feeder Monday. It was cloudy and raining, slow shutter speed and wide aperture - not a good depth of field...

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

ctnchpr, that is sure nuff a pretty picture!!! Wow! I have 3 RTHBs coming to my feeders now. They were right on time coming back here.~~Angie

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Im still over a week away from my first hummer . Since I got early robins I thought I might have a chance at an early hummer but doesnt seem like it will happen, time will tell.

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

Hi, this is my first time reading this forum and I am very excited! I hung a feeder on my porch last year and faithfully washed and refilled it but NO hummers! I have a flower garden nearby (50 ft) and they made one apprearance there but not at the feeder. My home is in a subdivision that is very wooded. The feeder hung between two hanging baskets of flowers. A house finch raised babies in one. Could that be the reason they stayed away? I have hung it again and an hoping to see them this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. LindaJo

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, LindaJo!!

I don't think the finches kept the hummers away, it could be any number of reasons. You could be getting a lot of competion from your neighbors. Maybe you could fill your flower garden with hummer plants that would make your place their top choice. HTH.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

LindaJo---It would be hard to say the reason you have a lack of hummers. Are there nectaring plants in your garden? But increasing your hummer plant garden would indeed help. I usually get my share of hummers and most years it is more feeder use than anything untill last year. I had increased my main hummer garden with more plants . Feeder use was greatly reduced. My main garden is about 10x25'. I also added more plants in another garden. Was that the reason Im not sure. I also live in a subdivion but it is not wooded and no one around here seems to hummer garden although some do put out feeders. I have a small yard and get a nice quantity of hummers , nothing like ctnchpr gets but I get enough to keep me happy. Keep the faith, plant it and they will come.

• kr222
    13 years ago

It wasn't until I moved my hummingbird feeder to around 2-3 feet from my large American Holly that I got hummers. It was only shifted about 5 or 6 feet over, but they seemed to really appreciate the safety of the branches nearby. Keep trying. We only get a few visitors, but this small change seemed to make a world of difference. That...and I placed a bright red table cloth on my yard for an afternoon. Did that make a difference? Maybe.
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardens

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

Thank you ctnchpr, hummersteve and kr222 for the information/encouragement. I do have a flower bed nearby. I have just planted beebalm and lots of other plants hummers like so maybe this year they will visit my yard. I wanted to have the feeder on the porch so I could watch them but I may have to move it to the tree near the flowers? If they start coming could I move it to the porch and would they find it? thanks LJ

• kr222
    13 years ago

That would probably work. I know it works with other birds if you move it a little bit at a time.

Sponsored
More Discussions