Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenn3d

Our first photos of the season

kenn3d
16 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post since last year... but I just wanted to report that we have our first hummer of the season here in St.Louis, MO. :)

This handsome male has been stopping by a few times a day for nearly a week now, but we hadn't been able to capture him until today.

As you can see, we've got Spring showers today, and these were taken from over 20ft away... so the photos don't really do him justice. But we're VERY happy to have him around, and hope to get some closer (and sunnier) shots soon.

You can see some of our Hummers from last year close-up here.

Kenn

Comments (11)

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

Your shots are just beautiful! Is that tree an apple or cherry or...?

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

kenn2d, I didn't realize you were in the St. Louis area! We're about an hour west of you. Thanks for sharing all of the beautiful pics! I've enjoyed your site so much over the cold winter months...love the hummingbirds, of course, and your hawk shots are amazing (as are all of the pics!) We've had one little male RT for about a week, and last night for the first time, I spotted him chasing (or being chased by) a second male! Let the aerobatics begin!!

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ctnchpr - Thanks. I remember your amazing hummer shots from last year too. The tree is called Indian Magic Cherry Tree... but we just call it the Magic Tree.

ltlhbgrl - We're so glad you've enjoyed our gallery. We love to capture our birds in photo... but our true joy comes from others' enjoyment of them. I'm glad you have two hummers already... we're really looking forward to watching them this year.

Kenn :)

• sam_mocotx
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are great shots!

Sam

• suzzque
    16 years ago

Really lovely - thanks for sharing.

Janice

• ltlhbgrl
    15 years ago

kenn3d - I assume you do your photo shoots in the wild? How do you get so fortunate to find all of the wonderful birds? (The only way I manage that is at Lone Elk where they can't escape me!)

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi ltlhbgrl,

Every photo in our gallery was taken in our yard ( which does get a little bit wild sometimes when I don't mow ;)

We simply provide water and food like most backyard birders... but I do think we are very fortunate to have attracted so many lovely birds to our little habitat (48 species so far, with the addition of a pair of Brown Thrashers earlier this week!)

thanks for looking,

Kenn :)

• ltlhbgrl
    15 years ago

Wow! You are so lucky!! We're on 3.5 acres and don't have nearly the wildlife - at least not visible! Maybe they are hiding in the woods and I need to figure out how to get them to come out.

• bdriver71
    15 years ago

Great pics. Some day I'll learn about cameras. At least I've figured out my computer. Maybe. He is adorable!

• jen4_2008
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!
    We seen our 1st Hummers on April 26. I was so happy!
    My kids think I'm crazy, cause I love the birds so much.
    We moved to the country and have alot more Hummers out here its so unreal to me, the other night had 6 at one feeder. Thats the most I've ever seen together. I'm going to put out more feeders, I've got 3 out in different areas of my yard.

• fortheloveofhummers
    15 years ago

beautiful pictues Kenn3d I would love to get pictures what camera do you use I have a Canon digital and Olympus digital and can't get pictures of mine like you do ? would love to know what type you use and if you use a special lens? thanks for your help and beautiful pictures!

Sponsored
More Discussions