Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Ooops! Red Canadian columbine

mehitabel
10 years ago

Sorry, I goofed. Columbine is what I meant to say.

I've read that red columbine is a rich nectar source, equivalent to sugar at 2:1. It's said to attract hummingbirds. Mine is just starting to bloom, but I can't see it from the house.

Anyone else have this? And if so, do the hummers like it? Also, what about the other columbines? Are they as good?

I'm thinking about planting it everywhere there's a bare spot in front of a window. I planted a lot of Monarda this year, but they don't bloom til July. I need something hummers want in my front windows for May and June.

What do you think?

Also, what about heuchera? Has anyone seen hummers visiting this?

Comments (18)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

I planted some last year but so far they have not made an appearance. I just bought 5 more so I hope they take hold. My hummers investigated the heuchera but were just too enamored with Monarda Jacob Cline and Raspberry Wine. For the early season, I get a few nice, big Fuchsia Gartenmeister - they use those pretty regularly and it will be a while before anything else gets going around here. We just had snow on Saturday so everything that is pushing out of the ground has had a little setback. I also had Cardinal flower `Victoria`which they investigated but passed over for the Monarda.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shilla, I don't know if the hummers actually visit them, but you will love these columbines. They are so vigorous and set so many blooms.

Last year they went to seed before I noticed. I cut off the seed stalks and just put them on some bare ground with a few scraps of mulch on it, and this year several dozen new tiny seedlings came up. Other new little seedlings that must have planted themselves a bit earlier have actually set blooms at 3-4 inches high. The seedlings are so cute, tiny three-lobe leaves blue tinged red. Just so pretty.

This year I'm going to put the seed stalks on the bare places that are in hard to dig places. I've also ordered three more to put in my office window, just in case hummers do like them.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

mehitabel,
    I also have been reading alot about Red Columbine, Aquilegia canadensis, I do have a lot more shade gardens than I do full sun gardens.
    Where did you order yours? I would love to try some, but very tired of trying to sprout seeds. LOL

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Hi Debra,

I've seen the smaller cultivar 'Little Laterns' at Lowe's and Home Depot here in Tulsa.
    You might want to check there if any are close to you.
    I actually prefer the wild taller version but like you I was sick of waiting around for my seeds to sprout.

Good luck! :)

-Robert

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debra and Robert, Bluestone Perennials has it. I buy all my plants from them.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert,
    Lowes and Home Depot are a two hour round trip for me. But I usually go a few times a month or more if I have a big project. I am going to the local nursery today to replace my tomato and pepper plants that were fried by the winds this past week. They might just have some. I hope so, I need a little instant gratification this week. LOl
    My family are all from Oklahoma, some of my best memories are of spending summers in Pawnee, and I have an Aunt in Jenks. Such beautiful green lush tree covered landscape!! My parents moved to Southern New Mexico in 1956, so we made a few trips a year back to OK.
    And oh my, the fresh tomatoes were so delicious from the garden! Haven't had one that good in 20 years. LOL
    Good luck with your hummers, I think our winds should be blowing some your way...

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Thanks mehitabel, Yes, I love Bluestone. If I can't find some today I will place an order tonight. They are always dependable, and great plants. Debra

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Debra,

I figured there weren't any close to you but thought I'd bring it up!

Lots of my family are from Texas and I'm hoping the winds will blow the hummers my way! Laugh.

Mehitabel,

Thanks for the heads up! I've never ordered from them but their plants look big and healthy.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 11:22

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Well, I did not get my instant gratification with the Red Columbine, but I did get some pink and purple columbine. Also some dark red Verbena, so I will order today from Bluestone. I will probably plant the red columbine in Part shade, what do you think?

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debra, mine is in part shade, I'd say more than half shade. Probably a couple of hours of sun a day. Maybe a little more.

You will love it. I can't get over the tiny seedlings 3" high with a tiny flower on them. If you have the space you could get a 6' x 6' patch in one year from reseeding. The red is also visible a long way off, even a single flower shows up 30-40 feet away.

Are your pink and purple the tall or short kind? I love columbines-- so graceful.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

They are so graceful. The pink and purple a "Songbird Robin" pink and a purple mix hybrid, so they won't be reseeding themselves. They are about 18" tall, and very rootbound, so I think they are about as big as they will get. I haven't tried any Columbine here, so I am curious to see how they do. By the time it gets really hot they will be finished blooming, I think. I planted them in with my sweet woodruff, that had a little Gray Hairstreak butterfly on them last week. I have completely run out of room this year. But I can find a place for the Red Columbine this year, and I have a great spot for them next year that I will be ready to dig. My sweet DD asked me to "please" not buy any more flowers this year! LOL So three red columbine will be my last purchase, maybe. I still need herbs! I have been planting non stop since march, and I am ready to just enjoy my labors of love. And water and deadhead..... Debra

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, if you love flowers it's very hard to stop. I'm out of room, too. I've been scheming ways to turn part of the front lawn (in sun) to a flower bed without too much digging.

I hope your columbines do well for you there.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

For future reference, the red wild-type columbine are easy to start from seed. They can be rather short-lived, but if you let a few go to seed, you won't ever be without them again. I find that the hummers like my red columbine and also the coral bells with tall red flowers that I have had for many years. I haven't seen them visiting the newer coral bells that I have with shorter stems or white flowers.

Other flowers that I grow that they like include the annual Nicotiana AKA flowering tobacco, the not-hardy-for-me Salvia 'black and blue', the native honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', and scarlet runner beans, an annual vine. (I live in an area with bears so I don't put out hummingbird feeders; I rely on having flowers all season that they visit.)

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Great pictures nhbabs. I have ordered Aquilegia Canadensis, I believe that is the tall red and yellow blooming Columbine. I hope it is anyway. I have Major Wheeler, just planted and several Sylvia Black and Blue, I hope they will be perennial for me. And have just planted soaked scarlet runner beans, so I hope they germinate well. I have the newer Coral Bells as well, I do have one with red blooms, but haven't seem them on anything yet. Not much blooming here yet. I'm learning...
    Debra

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Yes, the columbine in my photo is Aquilegia canadensis, the wild red and yellow columbine.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Thanks nhbabs, that is good to know. I hope to get some seed this year or next. I was just wanting some now, I hope it will bloom this year, but if not, I can wait.
    Debra

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Well, to my surprise the Aquilegia Canadensis that I planted in May has started blooming. We have had hot and cold, and I guess just cool enough at night for it to bloom. Sweet!

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great! This little thing just blooms its head off, even when only a few inches tall. Next year, you'll have dozens, hopefully.