Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Male Ruby Throat close up.

Posted by pgm860 z5, MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 16:04

Here is a closup of the Male Ruby Throat.

Here is a full picture of the male

Praveen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Male Ruby Throat close up.

Please tell me how you got this picture!!!!

o

Hi Vicki,
I was about 2 feet away from the feeder waiting patiently for either the male or the female to show up. The male shows up towards the evening so I have to use a flash. He is quite fearless as long as I'm prefectly still. I used a 200mm zoom lens to get the pictures. Camera used was a Nikon D2x at ISO 100. Have to take several pictures because many of them don't show the lovely coloring under the chin. Here is an example of on the pictures where the color did not show

Hope this helps.

Praveen.

o

Thanks for sharing the info on these pics-I am going to try your method when mine get here.

o

Those are great. Makes me go want to buy another camera(ac adapter, tripot, remote... and ).
Keep posing your pictures. We enjoy them.
Rob

o

Great photos!

We saw a hummer this morning. I'm thinking of setting up my tripod in the garden room (indoors and through the window) with the zoom set on one of the feeders.

Cameron

o

Those are great shots, but I'm a little concerned about your method. Firing an electronic flash into the eye of an unsuspecting hummer just two feet away "towards the evening" could cause a temporary blindness (as it would in humans), which may result in an injury as it flies away in a start. Just a thought...

o

Actually its an indirect flash that has a pretty big diffuser attached to it. The flash is off camera as well and is triggered using a remote trigger (Pocket wizard). I was very aware of the possibility of harm to the birds from the flash so took these precautions. I can assure you that I'd rather loose a shot than harm the birds.

Praveen.

o

Praveen,
Your pictures are awesome! Please send more.

Nanaboo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here