Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Illusion, wishful thinking, or possible sighting

eigdeh
14 years ago

This morning I looked out the window at the PP 209 that I hung 30 feet from the house a while ago and I thought I saw a hovering hummer going in and out to the back obscured port. Looked for a bit then decided to change rooms for a better view. Mistake! By the time I got there it was gone. I would have known for sure if I hung around and saw the hummer fly away. :C( Anyways... I hung around the window for a good amount of time and it did not come back. Guess I will never know, but it sure looked like one to me. I will be looking carefully tonight for sure!

Comments (13)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Ken

You may have seen one if you did and it hangs you will see it again. Heres wishing you good luck to see it again. Keep us posted.

Steve

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve!

I am pretty sure it was a hummer. It was typical cautious hovering feeding. I did not get a chance to watch the feeders tonight as I was out most of the time, and when I came back I was in the back digging a hole for a new Azalia bush.

Things other than daphodils and forsythias are blooming now. I have probably 50 feet of lilacs just in the early stages of bloom at the moment, azalias just opening too, and I am not sure if they like crab apple blooms or not, but they are in full bloom at the moment. So if they are around they might be enjoying the flowers over the feeder.

I did a little research on plant that the hummers like and I do have a good amount of them in my perennial gardens. I just bought cardinal flowers and coral bells in potted form. I bought cannas in root form, and I just planted many seeds of Digitallis and Zinnias in trays. I am not brave enough to plant trumpet vine, though have been tempted a few times. I have also not been brave enough for honeysuckles, though I do have a bunch of wild ones growing in the back of my back.

I should be set! Hopefully.

Ken

• tracey_nj6
    14 years ago

Morning gents; you can tell hummer season is upon us when I show up in the forums, lol.
    Ken; I thought the same thing. I glanced out my kitchen window this morning and something small caught my eye; too big for a carpenter bee and too small to be a goldfinch. Granted, I generally don't see MY hummers until mid May, but I'm putting a feeder out tomorrow, just in case.
    I thought they mainly concentrate on small bugs this early on, since nothing that I know of is blooming for them, especially further up north!

Let's hope we're both not going thru that "wishful thinking" stage.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Hi tracey

Sure is good to see you back , hope all is well for you. As far as hovering goes how many birds hover for any length of time. So what Im saying if anyone sees something hovering it most likely is in the nature of bee, hummingbird moth or shall I say it,,, hummingbird. I always place a feeder on my window next to my pc where I work so I can hear if not see when one first shows up.

• tracey_nj6
    14 years ago

Well, I haven't put my feeder out yet, and haven't seen any possible hummer sightings. I did notice alot of my milkweeds popping up, which is very early in my garden. My tuberosa's don't normally start showing signs of life until late May and even early June and they're up about an inch already. I think everything is going to be early this year, so I really should get that feeder out.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Yes you should , Tracey. Something has been getting my feeder nectar and I dont have hummers as yet. It is not leaking either nothing wet under it. This feeder is hanging from near the gutter and we dont have squirrels here, could it be bats?

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Put them out Tracy! I am pretty sure that sighting last week was a hummer. Has not returned though.

Levels only drop at night Steve?

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Ken--- I cant be sure when the levels drop but it seems a good guess its at night. Last night I left a a light on out there and theres no noticeable drop.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Feeder level is still dropping and no hummers. The feeder is hanging over concrete it is dry as a bone. Im going to have to get to the bottom of this.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow... which feeder is it?

I would swap it with another one and hang the feeder in question in the house filled with water and see what happens.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Yes I did that. The feeder has been inside on a paper towel all afternoon and evening, dry as can be. Must just be evaporation.

• tracey_nj6
    14 years ago

OK, OK, I put out a feeder yesterday. Only because my milkweeds are up, a month early, and I had 2 overwintered Black Swallowtail Butterflies eclose in my cage yesterday, again, a month early. So, since everything is apparently early, I put the feeder out ;)

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Tracey,

Hopefully you will get one any day! Let us know.

Sponsored
More Discussions