Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Woo Hooooooooooooooo!

eigdeh
13 years ago

Saw one a little while ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to the feeder and drank for a minute, flew up to the tree branch and hung out on a swinging branch, very windy today, for about 20 minutes and then took one last drink and flew off.

I am psyched!!!! Two months earlier than last year. Woo Hoo!

Comments (10)

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Ken

I am so delighted for you. So you see all the work youve done is now paying off. Now dont be surprised if dont see one for a couple of days. It sometimes works that way. But congratulations, you deserve it. My first also showed today.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Steve!

I did not get a chance to look outside for them today, but I am sure glad to have seen one yesterday! :c)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago

That's great! Send them my way. :O)

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First time I have seen them since April 29th. I had 4 sightings today!

I am wondering if the fact that it rained from late last night through mid afternoon had something to do with it? Last night I sat out in a chair listening to music on my ipod a half hour before sunset till a little after and saw none. Today I woke up a half hour before sunrise and saw none.

Does anyone know if there is one or two birds drinking from a feeder if there would be a noticeable drop in the level of the sugar water in 2 to 3 days?

Ken

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

I really cant answer your last question. But on the rain it is my personal thought that if its raining and coolish it is harder for them to find insects and therefore they load up on feeder nectar when they can find it. Also last evening for the first time this year I noticed a male guarding my window feeder from another hummer. Up untill that I had not seen more than one at a time.

Steve

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That makes sense Steve.

Is that the jewel box they are protecting? I remember the photos you posted last year with hummers on it. I bought one soon after that, but have not as yet seen one on it. I really like how you can see everything since the perch is higher than the ports. One day soon I hope.

Ken

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Ken

Well I do have the jewel box feeder on the window along with the first nature feeder, but it is really the first nature feeder that is being guarded , I have not seen a hummer feed from the jewel box this year yet. But yes I did post a photo of a hummer on the jewel box but I believe I had to remove other feeders from the window to get that. If they have a choice it wont be the jewel box.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought the jewel box mid to late season last year. I have as of yet to see a hummingbird on it. Last year my Yankee Droll window feeder got some good use. Actually a lot of use till the ants found it. I replaced the Yankee Droll with the jewel box and it has not been used, but the hummers found the Yankee Droll in a different window. I am not going to blame the feeder till the season is a little more underway.

I bought two more feeders the end of last week and I got them yesterday. Nottawawildbirdsuppply sure sends out the stuff fast. I got the aspects fancy and the 8 ounce best 1. Last night was my best hummer day yet, I believe due to the rain as mentioned above. I saw one three times on my perky pet 209 and 4 on the best 1. Amazing the picked that one out immediately. Saw another one on the best 1 this morning. Could be location, who knows.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Ken

Good to see you getting some good activity early in the year. Sounds like you are having more action than I am. Keep it going.

Steve

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Steve,

Actually yesterday was a good day, hoping it continues. :C)

Ken

Sponsored
More Discussions