Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you cut back salvia or do you?

Posted by mboston 9(fl) (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 16, 06 at 17:31

I have the red salvia coccinea (not sure of spelling), White Salvia farinacea Mystic blue spires, black and blue, and smaller blue type begins with an "n" I think and another reddish pink type that people here have suggested. When the flowers on the long stalks are about gone, do you cut them back or leave them?

I have lots of hummingbird plants, red pentas, cigar plant,the salvias, and lots of other butterfly plants but I can't get the hummers to stay. I see one in the spring and fall and that's it. Even have two feeders out but no luck. I really thought with all the Salvia, I would have more this year. Also have coral honeysuckle. Am waiting to get firecracker and firespike cuttings soon. Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you cut back salvia or do you? OOPS!

Also have Pineapple sage and some type of red bee balm, impatiens, porterweed.

o
RE: How do you cut back salvia or do you?

I usually cut them back in my garden, so the plant spends energy making more flowers rather than trying to produce seed.

Are there other people in your area that can get hummingbirds to stay? It seems to me they would have to answer their migratory call and move on. I know when I lived in CA I had hummers 9 months out of the year, but they always disappeared for three months. Now I know how spoiled I was to have them as long gas I did!

o

Not that I know of. A friend on the other side of town has them routinely. I must just get the same one passing through early on in the migration and then when he comes back through in the fall. Guess I will just keep trying!

o

I dead headed Salvia Black and Blue although it is mostly self cleaning. It bloomed continuosly until frost. Once they found it, it became the most visited plant, even though it was on the porch in a pot.

o

Do you also have trees close by for shelter and maybe some sort of water feature? Even if you don't have a water feature you can add a nozzle that has a misting setting to your garden hose. I use one of those to water my plants. I stake it so i don't have to hold it and the hummers will come and bathe on the wet leaves or fly through the mist. I also have several tree on my property and the surrounding area.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here