Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missouribob

My Chesterfield Missouri Hummers Have Returned

missouribob
17 years ago

It's been a long wait but just a few moments ago I saw my first hummer of 2007. What a relief! I was very concerned about that cold spell that rolled thru Missouri ( and most of the country) a couple of weeks ago.

But alas they have returned.

Comments (6)

• mizmom
    17 years ago

I was fixing dinner and read your post. I started to answer you to whine about how I had not seen one yet this year. (Last year my first sighting was on April 6.) The timer on the oven went off so I got up to get dinner out.....and there she was!!! The first one at my window feeder for the year. What a coincidence. I live in St Louis county also, about 7 miles from Chesterfield. Have not seen a male and they usually arrive first. I hope that is not a bad sign.

• missouribob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mizmom, The one that I saw was a male. I usually don't see the little ladies for awhile. He stopped by my window feeder as well as the one I have in my back yard. I am just glad they are back.

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

We had a brief visit from a male on the 19th then didn't see another one until the 23rd, another male, who started visiting my feeder regularly. Then a female showed up yesterday (25th). I wonder if the pairs travel together but the females stay back until the males make sure it's safe or if they really do travel separately.
    Mizmom - I do think it's strange that the female showed up first. Hope there's a male around and you just haven't seen him yet. Or maybe it's a young female that didn't have a mate yet. ???
    Do you have any hummingbird plants blooming right now? I don't at all but did go buy some annual red salvia for them. Wish I could find 'Lady in Red' but haven't seen any yet.

• mizmom
    17 years ago

Christie-
    It was always my understanding that the males migrated north first and then staked out "their territory". I don't think the males and females stay together for more than one season but I do not know that for sure. Actually I am not even certain that the males help with raising the young. I don't remember seeing pictures of males feeding babies or sitting on nests. Again, I am no expert and just enjoy feeding and watching them.

I do not really have much blooming since the freeze damaged alot my my tender landscaping. I did buy "lady in red's" at Weithop greenhouse in St Louis County but it's not blooming yet. My black and blue salvia, which seems to be a favorite, is coming up in the garden (for the 4th year) but it won't be blooming for awhile. I do have some blue Columbine blooming but I have never seen the hummingbirds near it. I also bought some red Pentas that I potted last weekend, but I have never seen them near Pentas either. .... but I do have 3 full feeders just waiting.

• stldjen_aol_com
    16 years ago

Saw my first hummer on May 6 in the garden - a male. The male is always the first to appear every year. I guess the female nests first, then dominates the garden in 2-3 weeks, the kids following suit.
    I have a lot of success with blue-black salvias. They love these plants, which bloom consistently up until winter.
    I really think they hate going south later in the year they love these plants so much.

• kristin_williams
    16 years ago

Where are you located, Doug? I'd like to include you in the first sightings versus the map sightings thread, but I don't know your location and what map dot on the migration map is closest to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Migration Map

Sponsored
More Discussions