Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you had to pick?

Posted by marilyn_fl zone 9b Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 18:03

If you had to pick one plant to attract hummers what would that plant be? I am looking to use plants to attract the hummers instead of using feeders. I have had a major ant problem in the past, and that's why I have decided not to use feeders.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you had to pick?

IF I had to pick one, I guess I'd say Bee Balm. My Jack Russel knocks the stems over every year, and I've seen hummers on the ground drinking out of the flowers. Christy :)

o

Coral honeysuckle vine. They come right up on our deck to get the flowers.

o

• Posted by zebz 7-8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 9:32

They love cypress and cardinal vine here. I'm calling these "one" plant because I grow them on the same trellis. :)

o

I would say the purple portersweed.
My 7 species of hummers, favourite!

o

Be awfully difficult to pick one. Here in North Texas in my yard, the hummers love (not in any order & probably leaving out many others):

Desert Willow
Rose of Sharon (Althea)
Lantana
Petunia
Vitex
Daylillies
Abelia
Mexican Sage
Trumpet Vine
Pomegranate (maybe my overall favorite for them & me)

In Florida, you have all those wonderful tropical choices, don't you?

Regards,
Janice

o

First choice would be "Walker's Low Catmint (Nepeta). It's a lavender blue color - sometimes called poor man's lavender - tho it doesn't have the lavender scent.

The hummers love it despite the color and it's a tough-as-nails, drought resisitant perennial that will bloom almost frost to frost if dead-headed.

2nd choice russian sage - another wrong color hummer fav with alot of the same qualities as the nepeta - only taller with a July to frost bloom period.

3rd choice coral honeysuckle, either Dropmore scarlet or Alabama crimson - wonderful vines with good repeat bloom that don't take up too much space.

o

My hummers love:

Passiflora ceurulea (Blue Crown)
Salvia 'Black and Blue'
Red and White Cypress Vine
Honeysuckle (yellow)

I bought a Cape Fuchsia (red blooming; Iochroma) this year to try and see how they would like that, too.

I've noticed also that they like to have tall sticks and flower stalks to perch on.

Susan

o

I would choose Ocotillo, they are blooming as we speak. Very lovely and the hummers seam to really stay on the flowers and later return for more.

o

Thanks everyone for your replies. Right now I have a coral honeysuckle vine (just planted), and a couple of firespike plants. My firespike was blooming in Oct & Nov and hasn't bloomed since. So I am trying to find something that will bloom longer.I had one little hummer that was visiting until the firespike quit blooming. I know that the hummers are suppose to stay in FL until sometime in March. Hopefully I will have more things blooming by their next visit.

o

For the hummers in my Washington garden, the plant hit the most is Penstemon barbatus. Second would be Agastache 'Acupulco Salmon and Pink'.

BN

o

I need to grow some of the flowers mentioned above. But here, they really love my butterfly bushes (buddleia). When they aren't at my nectar feeders, that's where they are!

A 6' buddleia active with butterfies, hummers, and hummingbird moths (sphynx moths?) is a wonderful sight!

o

I have tried a lot of recommended plants including salvia, agastache, honeysuckle, buddleia and others.

Monarda Jacob Cline was the most attractive by far. Black and Blue Salvia was also very attractive.

o

Pentas! Hummingbirds can't get enough of them. I grew them as perennials down in Florida...here they have to be annuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentas

o

Petunias or Buddalia (Butterfly Bush)
Maybe the petunia would be preferred- only because of it's season long bloom......

o

Mine go after shrimp plants and firespike, red salvia and
petunias are favorites also

o

firebush, always in bloom, berries for other birds, and a host plant for a sphynx moth.also not bad to look at and very easy to grow.second choice is red powder puff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here