Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

First Hummer arrived Today!

hummersteve
13 years ago

It was really quite an experience and caught me offguard. I had just walked up to my rear slider to peer out and in flies Mr rubythroat. I happened to be standing only 2ft from the feeder and had to freeze on the spot. Had a great great upclose view of the hummer as he sat there and dipped his bill 20-30 times seemingly in no hurry. Meanwhile Im still standing there frozen to the spot afraid to move. Quite a rush. Also on top of that It was a record breaking event as it beat my early record by two days. He may just be a passer thru but it made my day.

Comments (28)

• kr222
    13 years ago

Great news! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for my first of the season.
    Kim

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kim

I think this early in the season sometimes it is hit or miss. I saw the one hummer at the right time havent seen him since. If I hadnt been at the window chances are I would still be looking also.

Steve

• ctnchpr
    13 years ago

Congrats, Steve!! It's great that you don't have to wait any longer for your first! I see a glow in my Northeastern sky, it's probably your big smile.

• kr222
    13 years ago

Sitting out back with the kids watching the feeders. It's pretty mild out here morning. I hope to see my first visitor soon!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kim--- I wouldnt be surprised at all if you report your first in the next few days at least Im pulling for you.

The first is always so exciting but what stands out to me is the rich colors especially on the male. Later in the year when we see the young hummers they dont have this . But it is still all great fun.

• koszta_kid
    13 years ago

In past it been 1st week of May the first hummers. But getting sugar water ready today. Got feeders cleaned.Here been 10 degrees colder then normal.

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

Congrats Steve! I always watch your posts cause you always beat me by just a few days. I am so ready!!!!

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

First male spotted on my feeder this morning. 2 days after Steve as usual. Let the fun begin.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Congrats Steve!
    I spotted my first as well yesterday, Happy Easter to me ;)
    I NEVER see the males when they arrive; always the females around Mother's Day.

I heard this clicking noise, looked up into the maple, and saw a chickadee, just sitting there on the branch, and this tiny little thing was harassing it, doing a semi-circle rotation and clicking at it. It was HYSTERICAL! I wish I could've caught it on video. Guess he's designating his territory. Yippee ;)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bdriver71

Congrats to you, that first one is always special and exciting, its been a long winter. Let the hummers roll.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tracey

Congrats to you! Yes your hummer has obviously staked his claim. Mine has moved on but it did feed rather hungrily while it was here and it still counted, and I helped this hummer along its route to whereever.

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

Thanks Steve. Saw my first female this evening too! She drank and flew right into the huge lilac bush next to the Mimosa tree. That's where my regulars always go, so I'm hoping they are staying and were very "busy" today.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw the one male on the 21st and then didnt see anything till today but the one that was here today hung around saw him several times on different feeders. Sorry for bad pics.

{{gwi:982100}}

{{gwi:982101}}

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I'm kind of wondering if mine was just passing through as well; I worked from home yesterday and kept peeking over at the feeder, but didn't see him. I have way too many birds in my yard, which might not make an optimal place to set up shop for Mr. Hummer. It sounded like a bird sanctuary yesterday, between all the cardinals, robins and that mocking bird driving me batty. I think it's time to take the seed feeders down and let the birds concentrate on the feeding on bugs.
    Regardless, it was nice to see the male before the female.
    A coworker also just got the call that a male showed up at his feeder in Greenwood Lake (NY). They never see the males arrive either. Hope this is a sign of a good hummer season ;)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tracey

I too usually put out seed feeder but take them down when the hummers arrive, but this year I didnt put any seed feeders out and still get a lot of birds including cardinals , robins, doves etc.

• ladyjanein
    12 years ago

As I was sitting at my computer just before dusk last night I saw movement around the hummingbird feeder out of the corner of my eye. I looked up to see my very first male of the season getting him a drink. I just put my feed up last weekend and didn't really expect to see any action until next week or a little later. I think this is the earliest I have ever had one. What a pleasant surprise!!!

• Cindy Lloyd
    12 years ago

Had my first sighting before I even thought about putting my feeders out. We were still having frost and freeze warnings 3 weeks ago! I was startled and he was frantic as he was looking everywhere for the feeder I had out for last 2 years. I don't know what their lifespan is, but I swear I see the same ones every year! Gosh they're smart little critters!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nc

My thoughts sorta run the same way. I think especially the young ones that are raised in your area thats what they know as breeding groung so I do believe their instincts or drives take the same birds back to that area as returnees.

• kr222
    12 years ago

At 11:26am yesterday I had my first sighting! A male ruby throat. He took a long drink, left, and came back at noon. I haven't seen him since, but how exciting!
    Kim

• hummersndogs
    12 years ago

I'm just up the road in Greenwood and was shocked to see one on the 27th. It was also purely by accident. I had hung the feeder just the a few days before. Was letting a dog out and there the hummer was, feeding away! Haven't seen him since, but added another feeder to attract attention, even if they are passing through.

• LindaMarie2623
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone, New Girl on the forum here. But Saw My First Hummingbird at my feeder this Morning at 09:00 AM. May 5Th.2011. Here in Mckeesport,Penna. 20 miles South of Pitts.
    LindaMarie 2623

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kr222 , hummersndogs and lindamarie

Congrats to you all . Your very first and early hummers are very exciting indeed. Enjoy the season.

A very big forum welcome to the newcomers and a special welcome to the dog just down the road from me.

• glad2garden
    12 years ago

I saw my first one this morning. He flew around my head. I was standing next to the feeder I put up about a week ago.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

glad2garden

Great News! Its good know that hummers have arrived in Mass. Enjoy the season.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

I can't tell if anyone here's from Colorado. I had my only sighting a week and a half ago, either rubythroat (unlikely) or broadtail (more likely). They head to the mountains. In the west suburbs of Denver blackchinned hummers usually hang around, but I get the migrants too. Not so far tho. Nothing and I mean NOTHING! Two feeders out, brilliant red begonias, and my nice red lounge chair LOL!

• hummersndogs
    12 years ago

Had two more sightings today here in Greenwood, IN. He just hovered for a bit both times, and didn't feed (two feeders up by a hanging basket) but I am encouraged. Usually I don't see them 'til very late in the season!

• gemini40
    12 years ago

OMG my first hummer sighting of the season occured last night in a suburb just outside Boston.
    Miserable cold ,rainy ,windy night.
    I am so happy they are back ..this is ny fourth summer feeding these little gems.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

I was at the Wild Birds Unlimited store buying seed this week and they are theorizing that because we have had such severe wind in the past few weeks, that those tiny birds just couldn't make it to our area. Now I wonder if they will arrive, or if they took an alternate route.