Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why would a hummingbird abandon her nest?

Posted by nancy310 Ca (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 18:34

Do hummingbirds abondon fully built nests and if so why?
The middle of March a hummingbird began to build her nest in our back yard tree. Fast forward, this weekend I thought I saw her feeding chicks, but I did not see or hear babies. I assumed she was still working on the nest, but this is a month later.
Yesterday in the eve another hummer was near the nest and agitated by me. The nesting hummingbird took off after the agressor and I have not seen her since. I don't know if I should check the nest for hatchlings, leave it alone or what. Needless to say I am concerned about her after having watched her every move for the last 30 days.

Any input would be greatly apprciated,
Thank you,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why would a hummingbird abandon her nest?

You saw her building a nest then maybe feeding chicks. It's not clear. Did you see her sitting on the nest for a couple weeks brooding? If it's easy you could take a peek in the nest. Mom's typically feed their chicks 3 or 4 times per hour but otherwise are away most of the time.
She might not have laid eggs yet. Maybe the interloper was a potential father.
Where are you? What kind of hummer?

o

Hi - Thank you so much for responding. I was finally able to look in the nest from above; thankfully no chicks no eggs. I am in So. California (Santa Monica) and I believe she is an Allen, her colors are muted, what color I can see appears to be the rusty-brown - I saw a male hummer perched on her tree the week before she left; he was more rust than any other obvious color, so I am assuming she is Allen, not Anna. Any other info you can offer would be extremely helpful. I saw another hummer buzzing around the tree early this am.
Thank you again for all of your help

o

She'll probably be back. My Allen lays eggs 4 or 5 times a year in the same location. She'll sometimes spend a lot of time in the nest but not lay eggs. Good luck, Joe

o
RE: Has our hummingbird abandon her nest?

I have a Hummer that nested & laid 2 eggs in a palm tree of our yard. I don't know what kind of Hummer she is~ I live in AZ, the Hummer is mostly gray with green down her back and a short tail. Last night it was very windy, the nest is torn partly away from the palm branch, the eggs are still in it, but we haven't seen our Hummer for almost 3 hours this morning. Do you think she will come back, fix her nest & take care of her two eggs?

o

Nancy, if she built the nest in mid-March it was to lay eggs. Hummers are about 40 days from laying to fledging, so your baby hummers may be alive and well and Mom may have moved on or will be back later.

Jeanette, the mothering instinct is strong in hummingbirds in general--unlike the fathering instinct!--so she'll probably be back.

o

I had a robin build most of a nest in a spruce in my yard and then it just left. It probably didn't like my dog vainly chasing it off the ground.

o

The eggs r still in nest- no sign of mother in 2 days

o

I have a hummingbird who abandoned her nest that has two eggs in it. She has been gone 3 days now but the eggs are still there. HELP

o

Birds will abandon their nest if there is too much activity around.

o

Basically, if the hummer has truly abandoned eggs or nestlings, they are doomed.
You can't feed them what they need.

Reasons for abandoning? Mom got caught by a predator, usually. In my experience, they don't care if you get close to the nest. I've seen successful nests in nursery stock, with people and equipment passing within inches of the nest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here