Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for hummingbird feeder

Posted by Poodle_Mom US 7/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:45

Anybody have suggestions for hummingbird feeders that don't attract wasps? The hummers love to vist my purple petunias I put out every year and I used to have a couple of feeders for them but the feeders attracted the wasps horribly!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for hummingbird feeder

Try a hummzinger. I had a wasp problem too and it was quickly eliminated. If you discover the wasps drinking from the ant moat just fill it with soapy water. It will poison them without harming the hummers. Great feeder!! Here's pic from my garden. It is the hummzinger little fancy.

o

Erik

I like the fact you were able to get robin in the photo also.

I too suggest a hummzinger as the answer to a wasp problem. I have the excel hummzinger.

photo 002-4.jpg

photo 002-2.jpg

o

Thanks hummersteve :) I like your hummingbird pictures they are so funny! I like the robin too.

o

I only use "Par-a-sol" brand anymore. I personally don't like the way the plastic looks in my gardens.

Parasol makes quite a few different styles, but I have a couple of the type pictured. I have had bees and wasps investigate, but quickly give up on the endeavor. I have read somewhere that a bee got into the glass flower, but they also sell "bee-proof" replacements that have a much smaller diameter to prevent that.

The top on the kind I have is the perfect size to get in and give it a good scrub, there's no places for bacteria to hide, etc. It is not ideal for high wind areas because it just sits on top to close, but I hang mine off of my deck and it really does take HIGH wind because of the weight for this to be a concern, in my opinion.

This post was edited by lkg1323 on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here