Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummernut

Any sightings of Hummingbirds in Mi. yet?

hummernut
18 years ago

According to the map, they have been sighted in my lower Mi. area, but so far I haven't seen any. I've keep track for the last 7 years, and between the 6th and the 9th of May a male will makes his appearance at the feeders, than a week or so later, the females arrive.

Comments (38)

• rink_rat
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any... but I'm patiently waiting here in Macomb Twp.!

• bluebirdbabe
    18 years ago

According to the migration map, they are all over in Michigan. I have not seen any either.(northern Kent county) I have 2 of my 4 feeders up just waiting for their arrival.

• eddie10
    18 years ago

No sightings yet in SE Mich(Macomb County)---Two years ago I had one in mid April---last year--first week in May--feeders-up--flowers blooming---Only thing missing is............

• hummernut
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The map shows the hummers in Kazoo County, and beyond. My only flowers blooming are the perennials, maybe some Cupheas, and Lady in Red Salvia would grab their attention. I'll check out a greenhouse tomorrow.
    I heard the first wren singing today, so all that's left to return are the Hummingbirds.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

Does anyone know when the hummers appear in Northern Ontario?

• lisa_z5wmi
    17 years ago

I have tons of stuff blooming here in GR michigan, but no hummers. For 4 years running I had a female show up on May 8 and find me in the garden or buzz the kitchen window until I put up her food. Last year she didn't show up and the first one I got was last week of May; a male. Two females showed up shortly after and he had his hands full all summer.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

clairdo they are already in southern Ont. and I believe there are a couple of reports for Toronto. It should be within the next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

Penny

• hummernut
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He's Back. The male arrived at the feeder this afternoon. What a pleasure to see him. In the past, the female has arrived in about a week. Maybe our long winter is finally over now.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Good for you !!!
    Penny

• lisa11310
    17 years ago

I got my first male April 30th this year. I have not spotted a female yet but I am sure it wont be long. Blue Lake Township (N. of Muskegon)
    Lisa

• lisa_z5wmi
    17 years ago

I saw my first yesterday evening. It just passed through and didn't eat anything. First time I've ever seen that sort of behavior. It must have a favorite place it was headed for. I hope MINE gets here soon!

• crazee4flowers
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm in Highland Michigan near Milford. Saw a male hummer (our 1st this year) on Saturday, May 6

• iquilt59
    16 years ago

I have one female for over a week now. She shows up early AM and then is gone till 7ish PM. She was gone for 3 days and is back as of yesterday. But still just a loner. I named her Eve, first female. I live in Benton Harbor, southwest lower MI.

• Connie Kru
    16 years ago

Ray Township, Mi (Romeo Area-Macomb County)
    We have had both male and female for at least 2 weeks.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

There is another flush of migrants heading north from Louisiana and Miss. so more may be headed your way. I think weather has played a big roll in delayed migration this year.

Penny

• rachelleharris
    16 years ago

I had a female on tuesday. Have'nt seen her since. But I will say that last year was the first year I had regulars. And this is the first year I have had one this early. I'm in Lansing

• staceylovesbirds
    15 years ago

I saw a male this morning! Wed, April 30th 2008

• hummernut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good grief, at 25 this morning, they were smart to stay away from this "end" lower Mi. As of yet, the only thing perching on the feeders are Finches.
    Stacey, your male visitor was brave to spend the night in Mi. I'm so happy you saw the first visitor, the female can't be far behind.

• edenhomeandgarden
    15 years ago

It's April 26, and no hummingbirds yet. I put my feeder out two days ago, and anxiously awaiting my first hummer. I had trained them last year to come up to my hand to feed at a plastic feeder I hold in my hand. I got alot of pics of them and a short video of them coming up to me. I am SO excited about their arrival. I will let you know. I live in Algonac, Michigan

• rob_a
    15 years ago

All you guys up north are getting my Ruby Throats! Lol Not complaining, I know you guys will take good care of them.

There really was a big group of RT's migrating through south Texas in March and April. I've never seen so many hummers in he spring. I'm predicting a good hummer season this year for everyone.

I still have some Ruby Throated and lots of Black Chinned at the feeders here to enjoy. Good luck with your hummers, I mean MY HUMMERS!!
    Rob

• hummernut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nothing sighted here yet. It's usually the first week of May when the male returns to "his" feeder.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

There was a report in my area yesterday but I haven't been able to pin point it yet to see just how close it is. I have been pacing back and forth from the front yard to the back all day in anticipation. 2 Feeders have been up since Good Friday making one cup of nectar at a time till the first one arrives.

Penny

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I know of at least two reports in Shelby Township.

Penny

• crazee4flowers
    15 years ago

Hello all hummer lovers. My husband spotted a hummer at our feeder today (April 28)in Highland Township, just outside of Milford, Michigan. Unfortunately, he couldn't tell if it was male or female. Just wanted everyone to know.

• edenhomeandgarden
    15 years ago

Algonac, Michigan. We have seen our first humminbird at the feeder today, April 28,2009. It is a baby one, but has come back several times today. Yours might be next. Keep a lookout! :)

• quadzillabill
    14 years ago

Thanks to those keeping an eye out in Southern Michigan. My feeders went up about 10 days ago and it sounds like they'll be here soon. I thought that the real warm air last week might bring some up with it as we now have several trees blooming. Also waiting on my Orioles.

Had 4 pairs of Hummers each of the last two years. My favorite sight of the season is the day they arrive.

Bill
    Midland, MI

• katzjohn
    14 years ago

Yea...Yea...Yea:

Two male hummingbirds sighted in Commerce Mi. May 2 and 3rd.

• hummernut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He's back, and a day early. He whizzed by my head, and seemed to know just where the feeder was. Odd that something so small is so sought after, and enjoyed so much.

• double_aa_us_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I'm a Hummingbird newbie. I live just north of Buchanan, MI along the St. Joe river (Berrien County). We moved here May 18, 2009. Although there were no flowers of any type or a feeder, we had them coming up to our porch daily, from the first day. Guessing the lady who had our trailer before us, had feeders. It also looks like she may have had some planters. We went and got a feeder and within a few hours, we began seeing them steadily. They begin feeding around 7 am and continue until after 9 pm. I'd say we see one at our LONE feeder every 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the time of day. All we're giving them, so far, is a pre-mixed 'red' nectar, made by Garden Treasures, that we bought with the feeder that we attached to our trailer window. We're totally captivated by them, and have begun to put in plants we've read that they like, and are going to add more feeders, just as soon as we can afford them (We're on a limited budget).

Our biggest problem is that we don't know what we're seeing. Seems we have two different types, and several of each. We can only judge by their size and length of their bills. Some are very tiny and have what appears to be a black cap. Sometimes we think we see red at their necks, but when we move it goes away, leaving us feeling it's just a reflection from the red feeder, or red nectar in the feeder. The others appear to be pretty much gray; a little lighter on their chests, although sometimes we think we see some green on their backs. Some of their bills are very short, and some quite long. I have been looking at all the sites on the web, and none seem to look like ours. Ours don't seem to have the color of those I find pics of. I'm wondering could that be due to the fact the feeder is in the shade? All I know, is we never have to wait too long to see one, and we LOVE them! Our Camera quit working, but as soon as I can get my hands on another, I will be taking some pics. Would love to know where others, especially locals, gather to discuss their little 'loved ones' and any website we can get more info on local sightings. We can't afford to go out and buy books. Getting all our plants through 'Freecycle'. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and, of course, used to benefit our 'babies'!

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

They are all ruby-throated hummers. The males look like they have black heads, especially in the shade. At certain angles the throat appears red. The others are either females or juveniles.

• thamesmeister_charter_net
    13 years ago

Not yet but have my feeder up. Put up an Oriole feeder this year. We also spotted a yellow-headed Blackbird this year. It looks like a regular Red Wing but has white accents on the wings. We mistook it for a Goldfinch at first glance but when we checked it out with the spotting scope it was too large. They range according to Audubon, from Wisconsin and West.

They have a yellow head and a yellow "bib". He was here a day, then gone. Hasn't returned.

• heindlre_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My husband and I saw our first hummingbird last Sat. April 30 on our snow fountain cherry tree. Today Mon. May 2 we saw our second one, a ruby-throated on blooming quince bushes. Wonderful to see them this early.

• LindaMarie2623
    12 years ago

Saw my first Ruby, this morning on May 5th 2011. At 09:00am. Here in McKeesport, Penna. He was a Male. Cute Handsome guy too !! I hope I see more ? Put out a New Feeder this Spring, to see is a few more will stop by and feed.
    Thank's, LindaMarie

• lynda_gibson_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I seen my first Hummingbird May 3rd. I have a window feeder and every year they fight over the same feeder. I have two but they fight over the window feeder. I love wathching them.

• debbie_parks_peoplepc_com
    12 years ago

saw my first humming bird at 5;40pm on may 14 in williamston mi, Ingham county.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

we saw our first one, a male, yesterday. We're in Redford Twp, right outside Detroit. I'm so excited, this is our second yr. of having a hummer feeder up.

• drapert_1999_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

It's June 5, and I have yet to see a single one! I have two feeders out, and neither has been visited.

• jel48
    12 years ago

Our camp, near Eagle River, MI in Keweenaw county (way way up at the tip top of the U.P.) has a lot of hummingbirds now. We put up our feeder a week ago and this weekend had as many as 5 at a time at the feeder. If I had to guess, I'd say we have at least a dozen and a half or two dozen of them around the camp site. They are such fun!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions