Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photographing Hummers

Posted by TexPhoto Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 20:31

We have several species of hummers already this year. They showed up about three weeks. We have three feeders out, which of course the most dominate one has claimed. Also have flowers blooming around the yard which they visit regularly. I have been photographing these beautiful little guys for several years, but have always been at or near an artificial feeder. This year I decided to do something a little more challenging by capturing them in a more natural feeding situation. This is much more difficult...you never know which flower they will feed at. I spent two hours yesterday morning and only managed to capture one decent photo. I should ad that I shoot from a tripod, with a remote trigger, focused on a single flower in anticipation that one of the little guys will feed on that bloom.
I would love to locate some local (Austin, Texas) area private gardens with more flora and bigger populations of hummers that would allow me to come and shoot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photographing Hummers

Beautiful shot! Is that Hesperaloe parviflora? I have found this plant very easy from seed but it seems to suffer during the winter unless it's in a very well drained soil.

Mike

o

Yes it is.

o

Nice shot. Going hand-held might give better results, with some practice. Depending on how often you get hummers drop by, it might be worth it to have a seat in a spot with a good angle on the flowers and close enough to get good shots. They'll soon desensitize to your presence. They're quick, but it's doable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here