Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Shade Hummingbird nest!

Posted by taintedsky none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 21:19

I live in Southern California and it gets very hot in the late spring. Last year a hummingbird built her nest on a lamp post near our pool exposed out in the open. It was raining lots and I was worried about the little bird getting cold and wet, but then the sun came out and when the babies hatched, they died in the heat! Another bird destroyed the nest.

This year, I am guessing the same hummingbird has built a nest again in the same spot! As of this morning she had not laid her eggs yet. I was wondering if I should tear the nest down or try and find a way to shade the nest. I am not sure putting up an umbrella would be enough heat protection (not the same as the coolness of a tree). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want a repeat of last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Shade Hummingbird nest!

Poor little thing. Seems to be missing some hummingbird nous about nest building. Or maybe she's just a low-ranking bird and can't find anything better.

Must have been horrible for you seeing that happen last year.

Do you have trees or bushes in your yard she could use? If not, maybe you could strap or tape some kind of shelter on for her. But it will be hard to make sure it won't blow away in a strong wind.

Hope you find a solution.

o

there are plenty of trees in our yard as well as in the neighborhood. not sure why she chooses the lamp post.

o

I know it's an unpleasant thing to have to do, or even think about, but if you have lots of better places for a nest, I think I would take the nest down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here