Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone in Coumbus Ohio have visitors yet ????

Posted by orcascove 6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 21:59

ok, so like several others I see posting from other states, I haven't seen any hummers yet either. The migration map reports they have been in my area since April 7th, but neither myself or my neighbors have seen any here. I'm in South Columbus Ohio... anyone else out there from around here have visitors any yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone in Coumbus Ohio have visitors yet ????

I live in Northwest Columbus, and no birds here yet either

o

aprice9066- thanks for the response, I guess now I know my neighbors and I are not the only ones still waiting... Hopefully they will come soon, I miss seeing them buzz around while I working the garden.

o

We live in eastern Ohio, close to Ohio River and about 35 miles or so from Pittsburgh, and yesterday we saw our first hummer. He was out there again today, I'm assuming he is the same one, but have not seen any in multiple numbers. Yours should be arriving any time now!

o

Hurray!! Saw our first one yesterday. Same as last year and almost every other year - within a day or two of the first of May. Little scrawny female, but she is visiting frequently now, should be bulked up soon!

(Personally, I am quite skeptical of the sites with maps of first sightings.)

DSC_0175ab2
Male on Salvia 2007

o

I should have mentioned I am just west of Columbus, in Urbana, which is near Springfield. Headed to Columbus now, after a nice spring rain all morning, to check out what kind of hummer attracting plants Oakland Nursery has and to check out the butterflies at Franklin Conservatory!

Dave

o

Has anyone seen any hummers in the cleveland area, have had feeder up for a week and have not seen any yet.

o

well, we still haven't seen any, but it's good to know they are around. The neighbors and I just keep cleaning and refilling our feeders with the hopes we will spot one soon. LOL!!!

o

More have arrived. I only have two feeders, spaced a good distance apart, but one hummer sits in a tree nearby and dive bombs the others. I then moved one feeder around the corner of the house out of his sight, but he strategically moved to another tree where he still can watch both feeders!! I've noticed, though, that the others sneak in for a quick drink. I'll have to get another feeder, I guess. I love to watch them and they aren't one bit afraid of us. I was sitting in an outside chair and one came and hovered in front of me. We both got a good look at one another! These guys are so entertaining!

Dave, what kind of plants did you get?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here