Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rthummer

rubies are back in north ga.:)

rthummer
17 years ago

We are a Happy Happy mom and pop. Our little "honey birds" are back and are multiplying everyday. We sure are estatic!! We have increased our feeders to 14 and have more to put out if need be. They are starting to "claim" their favorite feeder and we are just tickled to death to have them back. That dang cold snap seems to be gone. GOOD RIDDANCE BAD WEATHER!!! We don't need you around here and neither do our little honey birds.

Hope everyone sees your hummers real soon if you haven't already. Happy Humming..... May it be the best season for you yet!!!!

Comments (10)

• janie_may
    17 years ago

Saw my first male on 4/1 (Atlanta) and in the next few days saw more males than I've seen before this early on. Even had TWO sharing the same feeder for a few minutes which is rare in my yard. Unfortunately, the cold snap hit at a very bad time for our hummers and while I did see a few, very few at any of my three feeders, even after the temps went down to 26 degrees, I don't think a lot of them survived. :( I saw my very first female RT yesterday, 4/13. Janie

• heyitsmejudy
    17 years ago

Still no hummers for me in Gwinnett County. DANG IT!

• rthummer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Are any of you Georgia people seeing your Hummers yet? We are seeing them like crazy.

Since the warmer temps here in Ga. they have come in droves. I love these little hummers, they don't know the cost of the feeders... ha, ha. I bought some real expensive feeders on line (perky pet) and then some from Wally World last year on close out and guess which ones they love??? You guessed it they adore the close out ones..... ha, ha. They are fighting over the bargain ones. I went to back to Wally World to find the ones they love and took down the expensive ones, and they took right to them. They have the yellow flowers on them so what the heck, if they are happy so am I! They love a bargain too.
    So tell me Georgia people have you seen you hummers yet????

• novice60
    16 years ago

Didn't put feeder out here (atl) until middle of may and have only seen maybe 3 since then. Should have plenty and real frequent by now.

• rthummer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

novice60, my sweet daughter lives in atlanta. I gave her a feeder and gave her recipe for food for hummers. Twisted her arm to feed my birdies in the atlanta area. She called the other day and said she had a visitor. Maybe she will get hooked like I am. :)

• novice60
    16 years ago

rthummer, I am so excited. I have 3-4 buzzing around 3 feeders. The male actually perches and allows the females to feed while he defends them. He is really kept busy. Yesterday, I moved my chair within 2 feet of the feeder taking pics and they acted as I were not even there. WOW! I was just so giddy!! Does anyone else get so excited they feel as though you will explode. I just love these little fellows. I sit and watch them for hours, although I think my husband would rather I am fixing his food. LOLx2
    I hope your "sweet daughter" gets the hummer bug and enjoy them as much as we do.

• birdsrwonderful
    16 years ago

Reading rthummers post made me wonder about the yellow flowers on the feeder? I have had no hummers this year even though "their" feeders have been out since mid-march. I did see 2 come by about a month ago but they did not land just hovered before leaving. My feeders are the saucer type from WBU and they have no yellow on them. Thinking back to last year when I first started feeding hummingbirds I had a couple of feeders with the yellow flowers and then I switched to the ones I have out now. What do you think are the yellow flowers important?

Thanks

• rthummer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

novice60, I am tickled for you. Yes, I do hope my dear daughter gets the fever for hummers like I have. She is trying to build her career and works alot, but I visit her often so I check on her feeders every other weekend.:) I have seen a female at her "bar." I gave her a feeder with yellow flowers.

Birdsrwonderful, I am using both the feeders with no yellow flowers and ones with yellow flowers. The yellow flower feeders are attractive to bees and yellow jackets but, it seems to me that the hummers seem to like them better also. I don't know if it is the size of the hole or what but I do notice that there is more activity around those feeders than the ones without the yellow. Some hummers do go to the feeders without the yellow on them although not as many. Who knows??? I just give them a variety of feeders so they can choose. I did give my daughter the feeder that seem to be the favorite of the hummers here and she said within a week she had attracted a hummer. I am thinking she has attracted more than one, though.

• birdsrwonderful
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply rthummer. I am going to get a feeder with yellow flowers and see if any hummers show up. I realize it is not a definitive experiment but if I can get some hummers it will be a good thing.

• novice60
    16 years ago

Birdswonderful, I have two feeders with yellow flowers and one without. They do seem to favor the flower