Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attracting Hummingbirds in an urban setting?

Posted by nova_novice 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 22:41

We moved last fall to a rowhouse/townhouse condo in downtown DC. The community has a very suburban feel to it (open garden spaces and lots of trees around the community). We don't have an individual yard but our front door opens to a shared garden / patio that the community has newly landscaped. (Hopefully, in the future I can be on the landscape commitee -- but that may take awhile)

I thought I would try to attract hummingbirds by some container planting on our front stoop. I ordered salvia (black & blue) and bee balm (jacob cline), because I want some color on our front patio, and I heard that they are good draw hummingbirds.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, trying to draw hummingbirds in a urban area? Is it even possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attracting Hummingbirds in an urban setting?

Nova, I did a ton of research on plants for hummingbirds and you have selected two of the absolute best. I was just in DC two weeks ago for the first time and to me, the city seemed to have much more green space than most. I'd guess this means there are plenty of HB's around.
If possible you should also put up a feeder as this may attract them before your plants bloom. I recommend First Nature feeders. They are not as attractive as some of the "designer" feeders, but they are safer, easier to clean, cheap, and the birds seem to prefer them.

o

dont waste your time with the expensive feeders

i have a few "designer" feeders, Guess where they are, in the basement. I never saw one feeding from them. They always liked the cheaper feeders. Today one stayed on the First Nature feeder for an extended time

o

I have to agree with Stevec you have selected two of the very best.

There is a person on this forum who lives in high rise in Pa and she just has a balcony and yet lures her share of hummers so I think most any setting can bring in hummers if done right.

o

Nova,
You're dead on target with your plants. And yes Hummers are in our cities. I've three feeders on a third floor balcony and lots of hummer visitors here. Good luck.

o

Cheap feeders ARE the best! I threw my others away. One more flower to consider...Coral Nymph Salvia. After seeing how much they loved it the first time, it's a staple in my garden!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I live in Bethesda, MD, about a half mile "inside the beltway", which I would consider very close in suburban/urban. I have no trouble attracting hummers, but it does take much patience at first. I have still not seen my annual visitors, but they usually arrive between now and Mother's Day. I find Four O'Clock flowers attract hummers. These annuals can be grown in pots and are of the tubular shape that hummers prefer.

o

Great photos, gawdinfever!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here