Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdriver71

First hummer this year (PA)

bdriver71
15 years ago

Saw my first hummer right before dark tonight. One day later than last year. Was panicking

because map showed they were around here weeks ago. He was a cutie. Drank forever. YES!!! Happy day here. Can't wait to have the rest return.

Comments (10)

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Most folks are reporting later arrivals this year - my first was a week later than last year.

• dominidan
    15 years ago

bdriver71, send some to levittown. I'm even wearing a red shirt and still nothing.

• chescobob
    15 years ago

The first hummer I noticed in SW Chester County, PA, arrived today. He is quite handsome and he was very thirsty.

{{gwi:983252}}

• annld
    15 years ago

Nice photo, Bob! I was logging on here to find out when the hummers typically show up in PA. Looks like they're already here. A friend gave me a hummingbird feeder last fall, and I was wondering when I should set it up. I used to live in Texas, where you don't see the hummers till late summer. I used to sit out on my terrace where I had some feeders set up, and the hummers would actually get in my face to check me out. I saw one -- only one -- hummingbird in my garden here in PA last year going for my butterfly bush. Time to put out the feeder!

• chescobob
    15 years ago

Ann:

Last year, a family of 3 or 4 arrived here in mid-Summer although I saw one or two before that. I assume they nested somewhere close by and then found my feeder. They were a delight and it was my first experience with hummers. I had the opportunity to sit with them while they drank and listen to their various chirps. I hope they stay around until its time to head south.

• bdriver71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dominidan, will do. I used to live in Croydon, near you. I've had 3 so far. My one front yard feeding male has not been around for 2 days so he might be headed your way. Be ready.

• chescobob
    15 years ago

Look who just checked in.

{{gwi:983253}}

She just arrived, went to the feeder, and planted herself there with her beak in the nectar. She was very thirsty. Its 62 degrees and cloudy here in SW Chester County, Pa.

The male was with her.

• bdriver71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great Pics Bob. Could use a camera class from you. I have a digital. Always blurry from their movement. Wow, male and female. That's great. Saw 2 males today but no female yet.
    dominidan, keep that red shirt on. I was so bummed by the map showing them here 3 weeks
    ago, I was ready to put my sons red jeep up on the sand mound. Elaine

• dominidan
    15 years ago

bdriver71, we moved here last year. I walked out the back door in June after taking a break from unpacking, and there she was. The most I had at one time was three (possibly four). I'm patiently waiting and not sure when they normally would show up. Yes, send one over.

• bdriver71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dominidan, my guys always return the last week in April. I put the feeders out at least 2 weeks before, just in case. My males left August 30th, but the female and babies stayed 2 weeks longer. Kept one feeder out after they left till freezing weather for the late ones passing through. Sure some are headed to you. Gave them directions. Let me know when they land!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions