Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Indiana hummers,,,,sign in

hummersteve
17 years ago

Just thought I would post this for any fellow hoosiers that have seen hummers or just want to chat. I live at martinsville and no luck yet.

Comments (13)

• garliclover
    17 years ago

Not yet Steve. It'll be another couple weeks for me probably. I'm just West of Indy.

My prediction for the arrival of your RTHB in Martinsville will be April 28th. Keep me posted. ;)

-Chad

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chad

Hope you are right, I will definitely get back and sign in when I do. I dont know when they first arrived here last year, I was having a family crises and didnt even put a feeder out till sometime in may.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guys I was talking to my aunt today who lives in evansville in a heavily wooded area and she told me the latest she has had her first hummer has been april 19th, but she said she has not had a hummer yet and she said she checks her feeders first thing in the morning and evening for that is when they will appear. I suspect she will have one any day now, probably be may for me.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I was talking to my Dad on Friday. He lives just east of Lafayette, and he said that he has his feeders up, but hasn't seen any yet. BUT, I know that they are heading that way, because I've been having bunches of them going through since the first of this month. Just hang in there a little longer. They are on the way!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Im sure they are on the way , it will be any day now if the weather patterns hold up. In looking at the migration map , whats that little rascal doing so far north in canada, is he lost.

• garliclover
    17 years ago

There have been some reports on the IN-BIRD-L mailing list for ruby throats..

4/22 in Monroe County
    4/22 in Greenwood

Won't be long..
    -Chad

• garliclover
    17 years ago

The IN-BIRD-L mailing list had another report today in Morgan county. He reported one sighting yesterday, 4/22 and two males today, 4/23

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chad

Its not surprising with the system we are now having . I just put fresh nectar in my window feeder today in hopes of a visitor soon.

• LeslieP
    17 years ago

No hummers for me yet. I'm in northwest Indiana and waiting.

• garliclover
    17 years ago

Saw my first RTHB this evening at about 7:20 pm. It wasn't sighted at my residence, but at my in-law's - just West of Louisville in Harrison county. I was back in their wooded area doing some wildlife viewing and then heard the distinctive chatter and witnessed a fly by.

Later,
    Chad

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chad --you didnt miss it far , today I saw my first RT at 8:32pm april 30, a young male. He landed on my window feeder and didnt seem to mind that I sit at my pc not 2ft away. I dont think he quit for about 5min then move d to a nearby tree thats how I knew he wasnt done , he came back and fed again then flew off in another direction.

• garliclover
    16 years ago

Congrats, Steve!

I had the first visitor this morning (5/1) at my house. One day earlier than last year. I saw him right on my way out the door to work. My wife has told me via IM that he has been there all day at the feeder. I have three feeders, but he prefers the one by the window.

Thanks for the update.. talk to you later,

Chad

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chad

Actually you have fared better than me. Ive seen a young male 3times and it may not be the same one and he hasnt been here all day for ive been here. 8:32 last night 2:30 and 5:30 and I know they feed more often than that. Ive not seen a mature male yet.

Sponsored
More Discussions