Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
traffic (car/road/street) scare off birds?

Posted by vivid_dawn Utah (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 23:41

I am new to hummingbird watching. I will have a couple feeders hanging at my patio, but I also wanted to plant some Trumpet vine and Bird of Paradise along the fence. However, the fence is against a street that gets quite a bit of traffic. I wonder if all the cars going by will scare the birds?
I also wanted a windchime at the patio, but figured that noise might scare them. However, upon doing some research, there were several sites that mentioned hummingbirds making nests ON the chime...so I guess the noise doesn't bother them that much?
One site did mention that it was recommended to keep the garden in a quiet place, but all other searches have turned up empty. This is the only place the flower bed is at, and I can't dig up anywhere else in the yard to start a new one (I'm renting the property).

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: traffic (car/road/street) scare off birds?

I have wind chimes hung between my feeders on the eaves on the back of our house and they sit on top of them to guard their feeders. The noise doesn't bother them at all!! (They make enough noise themselves when they start chattering that they probably don't even hear the chimes!) We live far enough from the road that I don't know about traffic and how they feel about it. I would guess if it bothers them, they just won't feed in that area and would stick with places they feel comfortable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here