Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

New Perky Pet Top Fill Feeders

eigdeh
13 years ago

I just noticed that Perky Pet has some new feeders out with a top fill function. Top unscrews, press bottle into base to fill and carry outside and pull when you hang it to open base.

You can see it here and watch a corny video too:

http://www.topfillfeeders.com/product-info

Question is.... how does one clean it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link above

Comments (8)

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Been trying to find out how to clean these feeders. Perhaps the bottle unscrews from the base too, I don't know. Even if it does I would think the base would be hard to get into like the 209. Plus, if a slight push seals the base from the bottle the opening might be too small to get a brush in?

Something that I wonder about is that there is more chance for failure with a bottle that unscrews from the top. Any air leakage and the sugar water will overflow the ports.

And... the instructions on this page:

http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hummingbird-feeders/227

state that everytime you refill or clean the feeder you must remove the "O" ring from the cover and coat it with household cooking oil. Could it get into the sugar water and cause harm? I know with the 209 the water in the bottle turns into a vapor each day as the sun hits it. Would this introduce oil into the water?

Also... not only is it an extra step to put the oil on, but it is going to get goopy and need extra cleaning too. I just don't see the advantage of this design. It is easy enough to just hold the feeder upside down till you get to where you hang it.

I don't want to condemn this feeder on my thoughts, does anyone have experience with these feeders? Big push seems to be that one does not have to use a funnel to fill the feeder, nothing about how easy it is to clean. This is what should be the new push of hummer feeders, how easy it is to clean.

Oh... I don't need a funnel for my 209. I cool and store my sugar water in one of those olive oil bottles with the plastic collars at the top of the bottle. So easy to pour the sugar water into small spaces. :c)

Here is a link that might be useful: link above

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Ken

These companies keep making fancy or different type feeders and people will buy them its all about the buck for the companies and looks for some people.

For my money the first nature 16oz feeder is the simpliest and easiest to clean and hummers seem to like them plus they are cheap but durable.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Here is another novelty feeder that I saw at my local rural king, but did not buy it. Rural King has it cheaper than target but target has three different views of it. I wonder how hard this would be to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: double decker feeder

• tima9209
    13 years ago

This Birdscapes model is my favorite feeder:

http://www.amazon.com/Birdscapes%C2%AE-279-Deluxe-Hummingbird-capacity/dp/B000HHSIKU

More importantly, it's the rubes' favorite feeder. They prefer it to the Hummzinger saucer by a wide margin. They're currently eating me out of house and home, to the tune of a quart of solution a day over three Birdscapes and one Hummzinger.

The Birdscapes feeders don't leak. They do tolerate cleaning with 140F tap water, including the plastic base. I find this almost entirely keeps the mold at bay, which is good, because like many similar models, these feeders are hard to clean with a bottle brush. Note that the little white port rings do come out, which gives slightly better access for a brush.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Steve and tima,

Interesting feeder Tima, never saw that one before.

Steve, my number one priority these days is ease of cleaning. I got the 32 ounce first nature at Walmart, I have not seen the 16 ounce locally. Would have been better as I could never see myself filling even 8 ounces of sugar water at this point.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Tima

Sorry to beg your pardon but I have used the rose petal feeders and for me they did leak and therefore attract too many wasps which Is my major hummer competitor and nuisance.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw one of the Perky Pet top fill feeders in a local hardware store today. The bottle does indeed unscrew from the base, BUT... there is no way to get a brush in there to clean. There seems to less than 1/4 of an inch space between the bottom and the sliding threaded tube when it is in the up position. There are also some holes along the top, but very tiny. I cannot see how anyone could clean this base.

• suzyqute
    13 years ago

I like the perky pet tube feeder, it only holds 2 oz ,but ... if its hanging in the sun, it needs changing more often anyway, so I don't waste nectar. I have 5 of these , and several other types,they all get much usage. the smaller ones easily hang in the trellis's hiding from the dominate hummers that think they own all of them !

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions