Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

fountains attract hummers

oliveoyl3
11 years ago

After 2 years of having portable fountains outside in our backyard from mid-spring through September the hummingbirds have found them! I thought others on this forum might like to know what fountains we've had and how they've attracted the hummingbirds this year. All 3 fountains were purchased used for less than $60 altogether because they were either displays or at yard sale. We've hidden 2 power cords throughout the garden and patio area so that the fountains are in a 9x15 sq ft area.

This past weekend we put them out. We drain the water & store dry in a shed over winter so they don't crack from freezing. Our dry season usually doesn't start until after July 4th, but we've not had rain for over 2 weeks though last night some sprinkles to wet the ground, but not cover the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. The hummingbirds must be thirsty and so were attracted to our fountains this week. I'm so excited!

We've had the hummers here since March and reliably between 7-8am I will see them near our kitchen window or the slider door. Later in the day when in the kitchen garden I hear them before I see them fly past me at work. We have plenty of nectar producing plants to keep them nearby; however, this is the first year we've seen them enjoying the fountains. I had considered adding a bubbler to attract hummingbirds to the birdbaths, but now that the hummers are using the fountains I won't bother.

All 3 fountains' sounds coordinate as bubbling water sounds drowning out other sounds when on the patio or nearby.

One is a table top type with 3 spouting frogs and since it needs frequent refilling, my husband set it up on the deck instead of the usual spot on the patio side table to check for leaks for a few days. The hummingbirds found this one 1st on the deck and then after we moved it to the patio have been back daily looking on the deck for it. We've previously not seen them use it on the patio next to the bench where we have had it for 2 summers now. It doesn't leak, but the spouting frogs splash out some water. We bought it for less than $20 including tax as the display model, so I put in a few interesting rocks to disguise chips in the basin. It's a favorite of every child who visits because it's at their level and the spouting frogs invite their hands to play in it.

The 2nd is a pondless fountain with a bubbling over large jar that flows into the basin below and recirculates up into the jar again. Small birds like it since this year we installed in the ground where we previously had a concrete birdbath. We moved the birdbath just a few feet away, so they're now using both. We purchased it at a yard sale for $5 after we had to hunt around for the parts.

The 3rd fountain is a 2 tiered fountain. I've one hummingbird at a time drinking from the top portion where the water flows into a small basin and dribbles down into a larger basin below. It's the Garden Treasures Fauxcrete Fountain purchased as a display model from Lowe's at the end of the season sale a few years ago. It has with a light inside the top that looks like a flame at night and though it needs repainting will do for this summer season until we repaint over winter inside.

All of them make a bubbling sound with the frogs being the loudest because of the splashing water. The lighted fountain splashes a bit and the jar just bubbles. They all need refilling and more so in hot weather. They clog sometimes, but my husband has been able to tinker with them to keep them going.

Corrine

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 tier fountain

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions