kris2001
15 years ago

Pls rank these as the most preferred /least preferred by hummers:

1. Salvia Forest fire

2. Salvia cherry stampede

3. Salvia scarlet sage

4. Salvia coral nymph

5. Yvonnes salvia

All, Pls share your opinions! Are these good hummer plants ? I have these seedlings only.

Thanks--Kris

Kris - Downingtown,PA (S.E. PA), Z6a

Comments (8)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Kris,
    I grew Coral Nymph and maybe Forrest Fire. Both seemed to be new versions of Lady In Red. Plant form was very similar. Both were attractive to my visitors, but the original Lady In Red grew and bloomed a little better as I recall.

You should look for Salvia Black and Blue. It is available at most garden centers I visit.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

You have some good ones, but black and blue and lady in red may be better. If you have a nursery near you or even if you have to drive a half hour or more it would worth it to get those. call first. Those are guarantee flowers, plant them and they will come.

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

Yvonne's, Lady In Red & Coral Nymph are tops in my garden. I had grown Forest Fire, but found it's too low in the garden for their liking. Mine was only about 1'. I grew some in a hanging basket, but it didn't get alot of activity, well, that I had noticed. Black & Blue is probably one of the biggest hits for a hummer. B&B's aren't here yet; probably in late June, unfortunately. I can only normally find it at Lowes, and they're annuals in our zone, but worth the money, IMO...

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Tough to go wrong with salvia! The hummers should like all of your choices, although the suggestions offered are also very good. I personally love my pineapple sage--the leaves are good for tea and the red spikes are a hummingbird magnet.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are penstemons good- anyone tried em in pots?

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Kris I think I already replied to this question on our forum but here goes in case I didn't
    1. Salvia scarlet sage
    2. Salvia coral nymph
    Both Scarlet Sage (also called Texas Sage)and coral nymph and Forest Fire below are Salvia coccineas and all get good workouts for me. I think that Lady in Red would be a better choice overall than Forest Fire though.
    3. Salvia cherry stampede is a Salvia greggii and is a little hardieer than the others and may overwinter in the ground for you. Mine did
    4. Salvia Forest fire
    Yvonnes salvia not rated since I didn't grow it

Some penstemons are good for hummer and some are more attractive to bees.

Pineapple sage is a great plant but it blooms too late for those in the northern states to be of much or any use.

Penny

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Good heavens, when does pineapple sage bloom for you, Penny? It's going strong now here in NC...I can't imagine it would be more than a month and change behind for you, would it? I ask out of ignorance!

It's in a container now for me...haven't tried it in the ground yet. That might net different results.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

The true pineapple sage doesn't bloom until Sept. at the earliest when the days start getting shorter. For some of our humgardeners it doesn't bloom until the end of Sept. It is a short day plant. However a couple of the cultivars one being Honey dew melon, will bloom earlier. A plant that was purchased this season that is forced may bloom off and on all season.

Penny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions