Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

Another window of opportunity in the weather

kristin_williams
16 years ago

I've been looking at the weather again, still waiting for my first sighting. Right now, the winds are blowing east to west around here, which I don't think is a very good pattern to help them return.

I'm glad to see that after somewhat unfavorable winds through the weekend, by Tuesday, they should start to come from the south and west again throughout the midwest and into western PA. That should be another good opportunity for lots of birds to be on the move up through Tennessee, Kentucky, the Mississippi, and Ohio valleys. I'm thinking that after a fairly slow weekend, people in the midwest who haven't seen their firsts yet, probably have increasing chances of seeing them on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

I sure hope those winds will help them on their way and carry some into my yard. This waiting is getting tougher and tougher.

To see the "wind barbs," you have to move the cursor over the rightmost column of the table. As you do this, you can watch the wind directions change beginning after this weekend. They start off blowing from east to west, but then turn around to come from the west and south. That's a much more favorable direction for migration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind direction map from NOAA