Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird Nesting Platforms -- Do they work?

Posted by clumsygrdner z6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 7:04

After observing a female hummer critically eyeing a hanging pot, Mom asked if she might like to nest there. I thought not, but I got curious about artificial nest sites for hummingbirds. I did a google search that saw that people have made them in the case of Black-chinned hummers and there are some for purchasae. I get strictly ruby throats, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with an artificial nest site.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird Nesting Platforms -- Do they work?

I believe in the majority of cases the artificial nesting platforms are unsuccessful. Hummers have been know to nest in unusual areas but of their own choosing.

Penny

o

Yeah.. I bought that Duncraft one for my mother like 4 yrs ago..they never used it.. didn't even go to it for the nesting materials. :(

o

Okay. Thanks for your replies.

o

If you did have one of those nesting thingies, were to put it? It seems like they are for under porches or such but I thought hummers nested in trees. We only have ruby throats here.

o

Well, I could help myself. I bought the nesting platforms. They come two in a box and by reading the directions I have learned alot.

First thing they said was that the mother hummer always starts two nests. Then she decides on the one she wants to commit too and finishes and uses that. Therefore put up two of the platforms.

Key to success, according to directions, is to place them out of the wind. This was stressed as being most important. Windy locations would be ignored. Under the eves and in a corner, therefore out of the wind, was the suggested spot. Now, I was going to put this in a different location altogether until I read the directions. So I looked around and I have three perfect spots for the nests and two other spots I am thinking on.

It said quite plainly that they have had nesting success with Ruby Throated, which is all we get here and a bunch of others.

o

Those Hummer nesting platforms came and I put them up. If I have any sucess, I will be sure to let you all know.

o

Awesome! I'm eagerly awaiting your results! :)

o

My mother always got the nest her crepe myrtles, without fail. I never have. Of course now she feeds them too, but previoisly she never did. I'd always get jealous because I tried so hard and she never did a thing.

o

Neat! The only couple of hummer nests I have ever noticed were in the center of a cedar tree. In fact, that cedar tree is only allowed to remain for the hummers. I imagine the thick cedar tree foliage reduces wind exposure and it would be very difficult for any predator to climb into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here