Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native hummer garden sugetions please?

Posted by jjdbike Z6a PA (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 7:29

Okay so I just realised my garden needs some work. Along with the non-native hummer faves like fusha, bee balm, canna and varous vines, I want to fill it in w/ native species. I am planning on establishing a wild flower garden in back & have room for a couple shrubs. I'm excited to be going to the native plant sale at at Brandywine River Museum this coming Friday and would apprecaite some suggestions. What plants and shurbs should I be looking for to attract hummers & butterflies? I love native lillies (Turks cap) but I've heard it is a difficult plan to keep, is that true?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
JD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native hummer garden sugetions please?

Two of my native favorites for hummers are Aquilegia canadensis (Red Columbine)and Monarda didyma (red bee balm like Jacob Kline).
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o

1) Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
2) Downy Lobelia (Lobelia puberula)
3) Sharp-winged Monkey Flower (Mimulus alatus)
4) Firepink (Silene virginica)

o

Well, there are many native plants for hummingbirds that you could use that are native to Pennsylvania. Here is a list of their favorites:
1) Coral Honeysuckle
2) Beebalm
3) Wild bergamot
4) Cardinal Flower
5) Red Buckeye Tree
6) Bottlebrush Buckeye
7) Trumpet Creeper
10) Phlox
- I currently have all of these and they go especially crazy for the red beebalm and the coral honeysuckle
-Turks cap is a very nice flower but it does like some shade and lots of organic material in the soil
- Just wanted to add that hummingbirds are more interested in groups of flowers rather than just a single specimen so plant a minimum of at least three plants per species.

o

Thanks for the great suggetions. I'll let you know how I make out.
JD

o

Yeah, post some pics of your garden after your done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here