Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firebush

Posted by kevabear zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 7:48

Hello, I have been searching our area for a firebush. I have heard they are a great plant for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies. So far I have had no luck. I've checked ebay, but can find only seeds. Wondering if they can be started from a cutting, and if so, does anyone here have any available. I of course would be willing to pay for it.

And since you're here....What other types of plants attract humming birds?

Thanks, Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firebush

How about trumpet vine?? The hummers LOVE my delphinium. I'm in search of Red Caroline, but I'm not sure I want to pay $30 for one plant.

o

In zone 9 there are quite a few hummer attractors. Lantana, cardinal climbers, larkspur (in the cool season), Mexican cigar plant, about every kind of salvia except salvia splendens varieties, cardinal flower (in moist, shady spot), crocosmia, butterfly bush (buddleia), beebalm, and that's just to name a few.

o

Wow, Thank you so much! Have written all those down and am planning a trip to our local nursery today! I can almost feel that dirt under my fingernails as we speak!
Lauri

o

I don't know where in zone 9 you are, but there are lot's of great places to find hummingbird and butterfly plants. I found some firebush at Lowe's today. Some of the plants that I have been seeing my hummingbirds go to are: mexican sage, powderpuff, bottlebrush tree, candy corn, cigar plant, salvia. I have only seen them so far at my flowers, none at my feeders. I hope you have great luck!
Tarilyn

o

I've seen Firebush at Lowes. We have lots of hummingbirds here in Brooksville. The plants we have to attract them are: Red Salvia, Coral Honeysuckle, Coral Vine, Bleeding Heart, Texas Sage, Bottlebrush, Lantana, Firecracker Plant, Zinnias, Mexican Petunia, Blue Lilly of the Nile. I stopped using the store-bought nectar feeders, too many ants, wasps, bees, heat. A lot of these same plants also attract butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here