Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenv14

First Hummer!

jenv14
15 years ago

I have never looked for hummingbirds in my yard, but yesterday when I turned on the sprinklers, one appeared and played in the water for several minutes.

I guess the grass isn't the only thirsty thing around here. I'm headed out to the store for a bird bath and mister this morning, and some red flowers, too!

Ten years of living in Central Florida, and this little guy was my first. Amazing.

Jennifer

Comments (9)

• Tom
    15 years ago

I'm very happy for you. About six years or so ago I saw my first one in Florida on my Rose of Sharon just outside my door. I've been hooked and have attracted them ever since. Now I see them almost every day, if I have the time to look for them.

• hope3
    15 years ago

Hi, I am in Oviedo also and saw my first hummingbird this morning. I have been trying for about 5 years to attract them. At last. I planted a butterfly garden a couple years ago and have several plants that attract both hummingbirds and butterflies. This little bird has been hanging around all day. I hope she stays and makes my yard her home. I think it is a female Ruby Throated.

Happy Humming,
    Hope

• fmart322
    15 years ago

I'm a Jersey guy and I saw my first one yesterday as well. He/she went right for my regular feeders and was a little disapointed it wasn't for it. So I went out and got one today along with the humming bird "Kool-aid". I sure hope it comes back again because it sure was cool.

• ltlhbgrl
    15 years ago

Glad you all are enjoying these little beauties! Fmart322, save your $$ on the "Kool-aid." Just do 1 part suger to 4 parts water. It's better for the birds, because there is no die, and it's way cheaper! They are amazing critters, huh? It's easy to lose time watching them.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I agree with ltlhbgrl don't use that artificially colored commercial stuff. It just isn't good for the hummers. All those who band and study hummers only use clear sugar water in their feeders. If it is good enough for them it is certainly good enough for me. The hummers don't need the red coloring as there is enough red on the feeder. They will even use a feeder that isn't red at all. Plain sugar water is the closest to nautural plant nectar.

Penny

• hope3
    15 years ago

Well, I guess my little hummer was just passing through. I haven't seen her since Sat. I'm glad she at least spent 1 day here. I so enjoyed watching her. It's like she was sent here to be my special guest for the day. Maybe there will be more later.

Hope

• hope3
    15 years ago

Well, my little hummer came back!! I have seen her every day for the last 4 or 5 days now. She seems to be all alone. Now I'm waiting for her to bring a mate then babies. I have been trying for 5 years to bring hummingbirds to my yard and have at last succeeded.

Hope

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Hope,
    Hummers don't form pairs. The male does his thing and then is gone to look for other females. The female builds the nest, incubates the eggs and raises the young completely alone without the help of any male. Your female may have been building a nest when you were missing her.
    Penny

• hope3
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to see a male or two. I hope she was building a nest. She has disappeared again but I'm confident she will return. And perhaps I'm just not looking out the window at the times she visits.
    Hope

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions