Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummers frightened away?

Posted by birdsrwonderful TN Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 9:40

For the first time this year on Sat. morning I finally saw a hummingbird about 4 hours apart (same one or two different ones I don't know) approach my feeder which has been out many weeks. Both times it hovered for a few seconds and then both times a Starling and/or a Grackle flew onto the scene and the hummers left without ever landing. There have been no hummers since.

Are hummingbirds easily frightened away? Last year I had many small birds and Doves feeding in the same general area and they still came to drink.

I have moved the feeding stations for the bigger birds further away and had already decided to try and gradually get them to leave. They just moved in over the winter and I felt they needed to eat also. I do hate to take away the peanuts the Downies and Carolina Wrens love but I really want some Hummingbirds!!

Sorry this is so long But if anybody has any insight I would appreciate it. Will they come back?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummers frightened away?

The local Annas and migrant Rufous hummingbirds in my yard are fearless. We have lots of different birds in close proximity and the hummers don't seem to mind. I've seen them fly right by jays, grosbeaks, and finches to get to the potted plants and sugar water feeder on my outdoor deck. When I'm working outside on the potted plants, they scold me by hovering about a foot from my nose before moving on to the feeder. For such small birds, they make a big racket.

Keep your feeder clean, give them some time, and I'll bet they'll come back. Try hanging some fluttering red ribbons to help attract attention to the feeder.

o

Dont feel bad a lot of people are having trouble getting hummers to come around. Ive had four visits since april 30 but they were just visitors and didnt hang around in fact the last 2 or 3 days I have seen none. We just have to be more patient and they will come eventually. As far as other birds bothering them, its not likely. They seem to be afraid of very little .

o

Thank you both for the encouraging words. I was afraid I had created a situation the hummers did not like. I am still waiting but hopeful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here