Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaroe

What is the best feeder design?

donnaroe
9 years ago

I have a hummingbird feeder that has a ring at the bottom with upward facing holes for the birds to feed. There aren't any large plastic cup shaped flowers surrounding the hole-just a little daisy shaped plastic flower. Does rain get into a design like this? Should I go out and find a feeder that has more outward facing feeding stations, perhaps covered with a large cup shaped flower to shield it from the rain? (hope this post makes sense).

I also struggle with when to clean and change the nectar. I also seem to be throwing away a lot of unused nectar from the feeders. Can anyone help with some rules to follow, such as how much nectar to put in a feeder, and how often to change? I am using a one to 4 sugar to water solution that I boil.

If anyone has found a really good feeder at any of the big box stores that I would have access to, would they be kind enough to post what feeder it is, and where they purchased it?

My second feeder is a window one that opens to put an individual sized water bottle in for the nectar. I do see hummers there, but not an abundance of them. Wish we had more birds. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments (10)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

Often feeder choice can depend upon whether you are having a bee and/or wasp problem or suffer from windy conditions. I have all of these and find that the saucer type works best at foiling the insects and keeping the nectar in the feeder. Where I am, I change the solution about every 5 days, sooner if the feeder is in the sun. Watch for the nectar turning cloudy or black mold spots developing. Because I don`t get swarms of birds, I use smaller feeders and only fill them to about half full. I have never boiled my solution, I believe the current wisdom deems it`s not really necessary. There is a bird supply company in the States, Nottawa that has good prices and reasonable shipping rates if you are thinking of trying something different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nottawa Wild Bird Supply

• donnaroe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you~ I think I will start filling my two feeders much less full. Thank you for the wild bird supply link.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Donna: How often to change depends on how hot it is. Here's the schedule for changing that came with my Hummzinger:

High Temp Change after

71-75 6 days
    76-80 5
    81-84 4
    85-88 3
    89-92 2
    93+ every day

As for feeders, I use the Hummzinger-- saucer type. You can find a picture of one on Amazon. It is easy to clean and change, just takes less than a minute to clean with hot water. Is dishwasher safe if you think it needs that.

I do not boil the water. If it's not easy, I tend not to do. In the interests of keeping the nectar fresh (ie change oftener) I don't boil.

PS in a post a few weeks ago, the pros said to attract hummers the #1 thing is to keep the nectar fresh. They said if they find it's gone bad they won't come back.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Another vote for the saucer style. I thought I wanted something more decorative (read upscale) than red plastic and spent too much on a couple - only to find they would drip, attract ants or insects. The 'pretty' ones are put away and I've gone with what works best for me.

My only issue with the shallow saucer style is they will freeze more easily overnight, and we have hummers year round here - necessitating bringing them in at night, occasionally thawing during the day during the worst of our cold snaps.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

I prefer one that will stand on its own when filling.

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

I like the First Nature feeders sold at Wal Mart. They're cheap, easy to clean, and made in the USA.

Here's a video of several of them lined up. Notice that there isn't much nectar in any of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

That is just so awesomely amazing!!!! I have two of those, the birds seem to like them but I rarely use them as it`s just too windy here and therefore are emptied in no time.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I bought my feeder at Ace hardware. My hummers love the big red flowers with yellow bee guards in the center. My feeder also has perches. They enjoy sitting while they eat and they stay at the feeder alot longer. I change the nectar when I start to see mold. A shady spot for the feeder is the best place to slow down the mold. Provide the hummers with trees nearby so they can fly away when they get scared by something.

• mbrowne
    9 years ago

I don't think there's a "best" for attracting them, only what meets your preferences for looks, convenience, etc. I like simple, so I use these:

They hold 2 ounces and you can put them anywhere. I have 6 of them throughout the yard. I like the above video with the mass feeding! My hummers get a more individual dining experience :)

• donnaroe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so very much for answering, everyone! I really appreciate your time. Great information posted!