Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia greggii Navajo Red -- big favorite

Posted by wonbyherwits z7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 10:59

The hummingbirds in our garden LOVE the Salvia greggii Navajo Red. It grows like a small shrub here and is also evergreen for me. I know it may be short-lived, but for now, it's a great favorite in our garden.

We lost one male recently. My husband found his tiny body in a spider web. Don't know if he got caught, or if he was wounded and ended up on the ground...there has been a hawk around lately.

The red snapdragons are starting to bloom just below the salvia. There are 5 salvias on a slope beside our willow. The hummers sit in the willow to preen and look over the garden.

Our agastache is now starting to bloom. We have a lot of varieties.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia greggii Navajo Red -- big favorite

Beautiful pictures Cameron. Not much is blooming here yet except crossvine, coral honeysuckle bleeding hearts and native columbine but I did add some new purchases that were already in bloom including some greggiis which I need to add mor of. Haven't grown Navaho Red yet but it is on my list of greggiis to include.

Penny

o

I havent had Navaho red either but I have several other greggii and agastache. My agas are just now getting buds. I also have some of greggii stampede seriers that a hummer was checking out today, plus dianthera, and david verity. Good to see some going to flowrs and not just feeders.

o

Cameron,

You have the most amazing plants! I am so inspired by your blog. I visit it all the time. I have gotten so many good ideas from you. Thanks!

o

I saw that one at Home Depot a while back. Guess I should have tried it but I already have a lot of salvias. Are the flowers bigger than the usual greggiis?

o

I'm glad you are enjoying my blog. It started as a way to keep my son, who was in London in grad school at the time, up to date on what was happening in the garden. I really enjoy sharing the information with other gardeners, so I've kept it going.

The flowers are small, but very abundant. Another flush of blooms is starting up now. We finally got a good rain here. The soil was so bone dry, that it's a miracle that my garden is still alive! The salivas hold up well in drought. Those were planted in spring 2007 and we had the worst drought in history here in North Carolina.

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here