Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Another hummer newbie - trying Lantana & feeder

MojaveLove
12 years ago

Hi - I have a very small town home porch so I am very limited with what I can do. I have a tomato/herb pot already so there isn't anymore room for pots. I put a Lantana on the table and then tied up a feeder to a shepard's hook and put it in the tree yesterday. My thinking behind putting it in the tree was that it would be sheltered from wind (we get a lot) and provided a covered space from the sun or predators. I figured the Lantana could probably be the "quick stop". Here is my tiny set up:

I am starting to wonder if I should move the feeder though. I have one other spot I considered moving it where it would be completely out in the open. To the left of the picture is a small garden with three daylily plants and I thought of putting the hook in between one of them.

How long should I wait to see if it works? I don't even know if my area will get a lot. As you can see my backyard is basically a prairie and behind our small complex is miles of swamps, bogs, forests and prairies. Lot's of birds, animals and the like in the area but I don't know if they like this type of "living". Also, I'm sure it varies but how long should one expect to wait before seeing one, assuming that there aren't any in the immediate area?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions