Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Questions about Native Columbines

lovefornature
15 years ago

I purchased some of these online the other day, but have not received them yet.

I have heard that they are early bloomers and then die off, does the foilage die off too.

I am looking for companion plants for these, they do not necessary have to be hummer friendly.

If the foilage dies off or starts looking ratty I would like something to come up later in its place (can the foilage be cut off once the flowers end), if the foilage stays nice, I would like something to plant around them that would look nice.

These will be planted in a mostly shady area.

Thanks all :)

Comments (5)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

The columbines will hold their foliage all season long. It depends upon location though. Usually the foliage is more diminutive later in the season and it does start to turn reddish.

After they are done blooming, and the birds have eaten the seeds, I will clip off the taller bloom stalks. I have watched birds, clip off a seed head and tip it back to let the seeds roll into their beaks. Its fun to watch.

I've been growing a few test plots of shade hearty natives, trying to figure out which ones will hold their foliage all season long versus which ones are ephemeral. This is site dependent... for example, jack in the pulpits are ephemeral in my yard, but they hold their foliage all season long in my Mom's yard.

My advice would be to try a few plants, see what does well and what you like and then expand from there.

So far, I like the wild geraniums and big leaf aster, for some lower clumping, shade tolerant natives that has foliage all season. (Others that you may want to try, that I have had some success with include: zig zag goldenrod, cardinal flower, thimble weed, foam flower)

I thought jacob's ladder was promising, but its been pretty diminutive... blooming nicely in the spring, and has leaves until fall, but its been sparse. It might fill in a few years though...

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Neat story, joe! Any specific species of bird?...sounds like chickadee-type behavior. They crack me up constantly.

Good companions to columbines in a shady spot would be cardinal flower, lobelia cardinalis. The columbine will attract the early to mid-birds and the lobelia will catch the mid-to late hummers. I also like astilbe, although the hummers don't care about it.

The great thing about columbines is that you can also simply just leave them alone, especially if they're in a naturalized setting. They'll most likely self-seed and return in greater numbers (like the Sandpeople).

Bad joke, sorry... =)

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Joepyeweed, your yard sounds like heaven :)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

The birds eating the columbine seeds were goldfinches.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I have one bed of native columbine where I planted them in the back. After the flowers fade and I either collect or scatter the seeds and cut them down the Salvias in front take over and bloom the rest of the summer right up to fall. I use Salvia greggii and Salvia coccinea Lady in Red in front of the columbine. In another damper shadier spot I have Monarda Jacob's CLine in front of the columbine and then a low border of Lady in red in front of the Monarda. Monarda in that bed takes over shortly after the columbine is done.

Penny