Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drgunfly

territorial humingbird with human hatred?

drgunfly
14 years ago

i have a hummingbird that seems to be territorial over the feeder. "he" is our flashy one and he chases off two others that aren't so flashy.

well, during one of his rants, he chased one up onto my patio and they were maybe 3 feet from me, hovering and "gabbing" to each other.

yesterday, this flashy little bird came flying up on the patio at me! he was about 1 foot from my face. it happened to fast i didn't really have time to react. all i heard were his wings humming and then there he was. right there!

will hummingbirds get territorial towards humans? will he start dive bombing me?

should i move the feeder farther from the patio?

anything will help......

Comments (14)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Hummers don't hate people, but there will usually be one or two who seem extremely territorial and will attempt to chase off any other hummers who come close to "their" feeder/feeders. At this time of the year, I have only 4 feeders up, 1 at the edge of the patio, 1 hanging in my breezeway and the other 2 on sheperd's hooks outside my kitchen window. I only see 2 or 3, but there is one male who perches on top of the sheperd's hook guarding the two feeders. He spends more energy chasing the others away than he does eating! LOL!! Did you have on something red when when he flew so close to you? I ask that because one time last year I had on a red baseball cap while sitting on the patio. Didn't take long for several hummers to begin flying around the cap, obviously attracted to the red! It really was amazing!

Moving the feeder might not help. I suspect your flashy guy will guard it no matter where you move it. You could add 1 or 2 more feeders and perhaps the other two will have a chance to feed!

Donna

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I love your title....still chuckling! And I know nothing about hummingbirds that's the funnier part!

Dax

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Don't worry, your dominating hummer won't hurt you. He's just curious about you and not timmid like so many hummers are. I had a female RT last year that I think has returned this year, nick named Nosey. She inspects everything on my balcony, including me. Right in my face. She even tries to get inside my apartment.

Put out some more feeders. He can't guard them all. It spreads the birds out, giving them more room. I have three feeders on an apartment balcony. It gives the timid hummers a feeder to go to when Atila the Hun is busy at another feeder. I still have minor skirmishes, but all the hummers get plenty of time at a feeder.

• shannynil
    14 years ago

I agree with rob a; put up a couple more feeders. Also, hummers are fearless little things; not at all reluctant to fly up close and check you out. More than once, I've filled my feeders, hung them back up,go sit on my porch to watch and one will fly right up to my face and hover for several seconds. I like to think they're saying "Thanks".

• User
    14 years ago

I put up my first feeder this year and they are really amazing to watch! They do zoom around close and seem to be pretty fearless for the most part. Our feeder is within 10ft of our grill and they help themselves when we grill out like they were invited to the party!

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting lazypup. I enjoyed your story. Your hummers will get used to you and not be afraid if your still.

I can go out and lean on my balcony railing next to a feeder, and the hummers just fly around me (I'm in the way)to get to the feeder. That lets me watch them up close. I think everyone should keep at least one feeder low and close to their lawn chair to enjoy them up close.

• mjm85
    14 years ago

I joined this message board to try and find an answer to this odd question: This is kind of weird/gross, so i apologize in advance. Here's the story: We have a hummingbird feeder at our house and theres a few birds feeding off it. Now here's the weird part: Sometimes I pee outside in the bushes or off my porch, and almost every time a hummingbird will come and hover around the stream of urine. I've looked everywhere for an answer to this weird phenomenon...is there something in urine that attracts hummingbirds? Or the noise of running "water"? Anyone else get attacked by hummingbirds while peeing outside? lol. Also, i was NOT wearing red, so i ruled that out already... appreciate any answers anyone can give to my odd question lol.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

I have had this happen a couple of times a season it seems from a very bold hummer, but no they will not dive bomb you. Maybe its a bit curiosity and a bit of a bluff but no need to worry just enjoy .

• mikekucsan_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have two feeders, one in the front yard and another in the back. A male hummingbird guards each one by sitting on nearby on the railing, branches, etc., and chases others away. The front yard feeder has ten feeding slots but only attracts about 3-4 hummers but the backyard one only has four slots and attracts 10-12 birds at one time, so there is a lot of fighting over it. The birds chase each other off but they have never attacked me when I go near the feeders. Occasionally, they will be flying towards me if I walk into their path but they always swerve away at the last second. When I go out to fill the feeders, they usually hover around waiting for me to finish. Sometimes, one will stare at me through the sliding glass door for a few seconds. They all have been very friendly towards me, if not one another.

• catlover229
    11 years ago

Humming birds love people. We have humming birds and before we got 5 feeders, we had one in the tree, but the humming birds kept coming to the patio as if they wanted a feeder in there, so we got 4 more, and they still come to the patio or at least they did until the ruby throated male started chasing them away, now he claims the whole yard as his, and sits in the trees waiting for the other humming birds and when he sees them, he chases all of them away. He still comes up to us like he is saying hi.

• catlover229
    11 years ago

BTW, each of those feeders has 3 feeders, so actually there is room for fifteen at a time.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

One thing that I adore about hummers is their curiosity about everything including humans. The will often flutter all over a window seeming to look in. Also the best is when they flutter right in front of your face staring at you just inches away, what a rush.

• eric580
    11 years ago

My brother and I were standing in the garden one day and a male and female hummingbird kept buzzing past us! My brother was so scared yet so happy! Don't worry they won't hurt you:)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery