tnbrdnrd

Breakfast at the Kountry Kitchen

ctnchpr
17 years ago

{{gwi:974319}}

Comments (9)

• down2earth
    17 years ago

I love seeing all the pictures you guys post. We are not in an area that gets a lot. We may have 5 or so in the summer but they are always fighting in spite of extra feeders so I never see more than 1 feeding at a time. The only time I have seen a large number of hummers was when we were in the cloud forest of Costa Rico. What a wonderful sight!

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Whoa! That's awesome. I also get about 5 regulars and they're always fighting too, despite having 2 feeders. They always feed one at a time too :(

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

I count 11. Wow! I never see nearly that many--certainly not at one time. I think I had at least 4 last year--an adult male, and adult female, and two babies. It's possible there were more, but they didn't tend to come swooping in all at the same time. There was a little bit of quarreling at the feeder, but it was always between just two birds.

Did you always have that many, or did the numbers gradually build over the years?

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of the birds in the photo are females, and
    they have their squabbles, too. The thug males
    have been lured to other parts of the yard by
    using several small feeders. It seems to reduce
    the fighting a lot. I've added another feeder
    at this station, the 16 ports weren't enough
    during the early morning and late afternoon
    feeding frenzies.

Kristin: I've been feeding 'em for about 15
    years, and there has been a steady increase in
    the resident population.

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Great pics. Looks like reunion time at the feeders. Its nice to see more flying in to join the fiesta. I notice all females except the one on the left feeder that appears to have a dark throat but could be shadow. I dont have that many during the summer, but there are times in the evening when I see 3 or 4 perching and eating together. Last summer I averaged about 6 untill the babies came along.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, hummersteve. Here is another pic, this
    one with 7 girls and a boy. Everything seems so
    peaceful without a pack of show-offy boys hangin'
    'round.

{{gwi:979034}}

• zeke
    17 years ago

that is such a cool pic
    i wish i had that many hummers
    i started feeding them last summer
    and i waited and waited imptiatently
    for the lil rascals to show this spring
    and now i have at least 2 males coming to the feeder .
    Zeke

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

About the only time I can count on seeing any right now is between 8:30 and 9pm, but I did see my first female today I hope things start to look up now.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

ctnchpr

I have to keep coming back and looking at your pictures, they look so peacefull and for the fact that my regulars arent back yet and Im lonely for them.